Foxfi Addon for Verizon

SallyC

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone knows if you need the Foxfi Addon to hide tethered usage from Verizon?

I have unlimited and don't want to initiate any extra fees or anything if I use Foxfi as a hotspot. The Play description leaves it vague about any benefits, depending on provider.

Anyone know if you want it with Verizon? Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If you don't have a plan that includes hotspot service, it's a good idea. If you use the stock hotspot app, the first thing it will do is check to see if you have a tethering plan activated. You'll also be brought in there when you start foxfi up, but you just click cancel and it bypasses the stock app to create a hotspot.

But, actually, you want pdaNet+, as they combined forces with foxfi. The only thing I use from the old foxfi is the premium key that I purchased, which is compatible with pdaNet+.

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have pdaNet+ but wasn't sure how it works with Foxfi. I also have the premium key. So should I just stsrt pdaNet+ instead? Can I skip the Foxfi Addon then? Thanks.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thanks for the reply. I have pdaNet+ but wasn't sure how it works with Foxfi. I also have the premium key. So should I just stsrt pdaNet+ instead? Can I skip the Foxfi Addon then? Thanks.

No problem. You should be good to go. If pdaNet+ needs that addon or another one, it will prompt you to download it. If it doesn't prompt you, you shouldn't need it. I can't remember exactly what's necessary with. I only used it once in a great while and now I've got hotspot service included in my plan, so I likely won't be using it going forward.

bbtkd

Reaction score
The OP has an unlimited plan, so as you say they are obliged to pay Verizon for tethering, or risk getting caught working around Verizon detection. For those with limited Verizon plans, per a 2012 settlement with the FCC, Verizon is required to let users on limited data plans freely use tethering apps at no cost, up to their monthly data cap.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The OP has an unlimited plan, so as you say they are obliged to pay Verizon for tethering, or risk getting caught working around Verizon detection. For those with limited Verizon plans, per a 2012 settlement with the FCC, Verizon is required to let users on limited data plans freely use tethering apps at no cost, up to their monthly data cap.
Very true. Using a third party tethering app when you have no hotspot plan is an "At your own risk" situation.

With that said, as long as you're not using it constantly for streaming & etc, it's possible to go undetected by vzw.

Sent from my Note 4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very true. Using a third party tethering app when you have no hotspot plan is an "At your own risk" situation.

With that said, as long as you're not using it constantly for streaming & etc, it's possible to go undetected by vzw.

Sent from my Note 4
The foxfi add on is what bypasses the ability of Verizon to detect tethering.
It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I thought they were still busting people using it, but that kinda makes sense. It creates a VPN, so it's basically spoofing your ip so you're not using the one Verizon gives you.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
I appreciate the help. What's unclear to me is how exactly to use the addon, or if I need it . I have it installed along with foxfi premium key and pdaNet+ . I can start the hotspot but get no message about needing to do anything with the addon.

The addon says you can use it, if you need it (?),via foxfi menu . Is that the 'enable proxy' option? Will pdaNet useit automatically or must I go into foxfi each time after starting pdaNet?

Sorry to be such a dunce. I haven't ever needed to do this before but we're getting ready for a long road trip and it would be nice if my tablet had Internet access in the car. So any step by step instructions wold be appreciated.

I guess worst case is they nail me for the $20 fee for a month, but id rather not make eye contact if that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Fire it up and see. As far as I know, it uses the addon by itself if it needs it, so it doesn't hurt anything to have it installed. Just be sure you're starting the hotspot from within pdaNet and you should be good to go. It's pretty user-friendly in that it will let you know what/if you need to enable/download in order for it to work properly.

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
I can start the hotspot from within pdaNet okay but it does route me to the phone's Settings to turn on the hotspot. It says checking for subscription and then starts up a Foxfi hotspot. I am not asked about setting up a subscription, which is I assume a Verizon thing? Does that mean I am okay?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yes ma'am! That's exactly how it should work. You can verify further that it's working by connecting your tablet/laptop/other device to the network you've created with it and testing the web browser, but that's the way I always did it and those are the results I always got when it worked.

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
Ahh, great! That should make the road trip much more pleasant. Thank you!