Four touch buttons stay lit, phone freezes then reboots

Khyren

Reaction score
I'm not rooted, so that eliminates a lot of things. I run the free task killer. Usually just home to exit an app and then use the task killer to kill the apps that I had running with the bloatware de-selected because they can't be killed it seems. Happens about once a week so far.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok no guarantee it will help but you should ONLY use task killers to kill nonresponsive apps. Instead of pressing home when you leave an app use the back key that will basically always give the os the hint that you are done using it and handle it in its own time.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
R
Reaction score
Need a bit more info to help, are you rooted, oc'd, running custom ROMs, kernels... honestly it could be a number of things and without more info I don't think it will be possible to trouble shoot your problem.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

I am rooted, I have setcpu to clock my cpu to 1 ghz when im using the phone. When screen is off it underclocks to 300. Running stock rom, I haven't touched any kernels at all, its all stock. Im running launcher pro too.

OP
R
Reaction score
Got my gf a D2 the day it launched and haven't had a single issue with it yet...that wasn't app related.
We need to see if those of you with this issue have common apps and/or behaviors. To quickly eliminate a couple, are any of you running task killers or any kind of anti-virus apps? How often are you rebooting your phones? Are you using the home button or back button to exit applications?

DroidForums junkie!

I have "system monitor". It has a task killer built in, I use it seldomly, for when an app is acting up. Phone reboots at least once a day due to lights staying lit and freezing. I use home button if I plan on going back to the app, back button for when im done with it and want it to close.

OP
R
Reaction score
It hasn't ever done this until after the last firmware update. Anyways, I have a theory as to why this might be happening. Does anyone have setcpu and have it set to where it underclocks the processor when the screen shuts off?

I have mine set to underclock to a min/max of 300. I think this may be the problem. Im changing the profile to underclock between 300 and 800 when the screen goes off. Ill come back with results tomorrow night.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've been using setcpu to clock down to 300 max with the screen off since before the update without issue but I would still try it.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1

I've been using setcpu to clock down to 300 max with the screen off since before the update without issue but I would still try it.

DroidForums junkie!

OP
R
Reaction score

Not like it would matter if u underclocked it, I bet you still score a 2000 on quadrant at 300mhz lol

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Lol I think I know what you're referring to. My quadrant scores have dropped off lately since I no longer clock to 1.42ghz but the phone is snappy as ever.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, almost 24 hours later, I've had zero freezes.

EDIT: I think underclocking was the issue. My phone hasn't rebooted a single time, although the lights have stayed lit for about 3 seconds tops so far, but they go dark every time. No issues so far. If this fixes the problem, I'll edit the title and say I've found a fix for it.

Last edited:

jeremywood30

Reaction score
I'm going to say...it's not setcpu. My D2 is not rooted or running any home replacements. Just a stock D2. Boring...I know! Anyway's, my phone has had this issue multiple times in one day or none at all. It's pure random act's of nature.

Gothic.Coop

Reaction score
I wonder if it is a thermal turn off my self. I notice it turns off more when it was in my pocket then setting on the desk. Just a thought no hard facts to this.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ok. Well I've been testing it for almost three days now. I have results.

Underclocking definitely increased the frequency with which the phones four touch buttons remained lit, and subsequently froze and rebooted afterwards.

I got rid of the screen off profile on my D2, phone froze a lot less. My phone has frozen twice. But the buttons have only remained lit five times for a long time, two of those 5 times (i counted) the phone froze. Whereas before, my phone would freeze 2 times a day, and the buttons would stay lit practically every single time I hit the screen lock button.

I don't think it is SetCPU that is the problem, but underclocking the phone messed mine up.

OP
R
Reaction score
While I know it's everyone's pet peeve to condone the use of task killers, including myself, I have found a lot of good results by using it to kill all tasks before I hit the lock button. The phone has never frozen after doing this.

This leads me to believe that it MUST be an app, or have something to do with the Droid 2 passing a certain point of memory usage, perhaps close to full.