Found Out Why GB's Killing My Battery (with Temp Fix)

Astaroth

Reaction score
great, so the plan is to leave Pro users with a crippled update full of bugs? thanks, Moto. hopefully there will be a cyanogenmod ICS for the Pro.

seriously though, if there isn't another OS update fixing all these bugs within the next month I am going to claim warranty with Moto and ask for a different phone. they broke my phone, they get to fix it.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
great, so the plan is to leave Pro users with a crippled update full of bugs? thanks, Moto. hopefully there will be a cyanogenmod ICS for the Pro.

seriously though, if there isn't another OS update fixing all these bugs within the next month I am going to claim warranty with Moto and ask for a different phone. they broke my phone, they get to fix it.
Hey, if you decide to go to a different phone, or they offer you a different phone, don't go to the Bionic right now. They have a ton of problems with that phone...worst than those on the Pro. Lots of very unhappy campers with the Bionic. Verizon is promising an update early Nov, so maybe they'll make things right for those owners and future owners.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
He said that they were having so many problems with GB that, rather than fix GB, they're "rushing to release Ice Cream Sandwich".

Problem is, as I asked the tech, everything I've read says that devices like the Pro won't be receiving ICS, so how will that help us?

He said he didn't know...
Ya know...we don't know if ICS is any better than Gingerbread. The only phone with ICS right now is the Nexus and it isn't even on the shelves yet. Hell, it may be worst or problem matic as Gingerbread.

OP
Skates12

Skates12

Reaction score
I'm with JP on this. We don't even know if the info the Moto tech relayed to me is accurate.

Sadly, in my experience, the likelihood of receiving attention is directly proportional to how loud the complaining gets (which is why I called tech support).

I'm going to be patient and gamble that the yelling gets loud enough that they're forced to deal with it - or we get some kind of interim fix next month.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I'm with JP on this. We don't even know if the info the Moto tech relayed to me is accurate.

Sadly, in my experience, the likelihood of receiving attention is directly proportional to how loud the complaining gets (which is why I called tech support).

I'm going to be patient and gamble that the yelling gets loud enough that they're forced to deal with it - or we get some kind of interim fix next month.
+1...sorry you guys are have the problems you're having. I'm one of the fortunate ones...the only issue I'm experiencing is the key pad back light not working when it should at times.

Astaroth

Reaction score
Hey, if you decide to go to a different phone, or they offer you a different phone, don't go to the Bionic right now. They have a ton of problems with that phone...worst than those on the Pro. Lots of very unhappy campers with the Bionic. Verizon is promising an update early Nov, so maybe they'll make things right for those owners and future owners.

Yeah I've heard about the Bionic issues. I would have gone with the RAZR, but I doubt they will actually offer me a new phone. They'll probably just offer a replacement Pro and it'll have the same issues. Maybe I should start complaining now.

Timar99

Reaction score
its gonna be a min before ics rolls out...hell we fianlly get 2.3 and that's already outdated...lol

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

google123

Reaction score
Skates, does switching from Global to CDMA make a difference in your battery and how hot the phone gets?

OP
Skates12

Skates12

Reaction score
No difference. It was set to Global by default, but one of the 1st things I did was switch it to CDMA.

3G in overdrive is definitely the cause of the overheating problem. I disabled b/g data at 3:30 this afternoon. The temp dropped almost 20 degrees, data use dropped back to nil and my battery still has 70% charge left after 4.5 hours.

It's going to have to stay this way until there's a fix.

google123

Reaction score
That's really weird that 3G is kicking in like that. Do you live in a fringe coverage area? Have you tried doing a PRL update to see if that helps improve the 3G? Have you checked in the programming menu for an option to change the EvDO or CMDA setting? ##PROGRAM is the number to dial and the password is 000000. Try checking that and see if maybe that will help.

OP
Skates12

Skates12

Reaction score
I'm in California...we've been accused of being 'fringe' but I'm in a city :)

3G is fine, the issue is it starts passing data non-stop if corp sync is configured or b/g data is enabled (so disabling b/g data is the least intrusive option).

Here's what I got yesterday: disabled it at 3:30pm, battery still had 40% remaining after 8 hours. This morning, it still has 40% remaining (I use nighttime mode).

The only other clue is, when b/g data is disabled, the 3G indicator turns white and stays that way. Whenever 3G is blue, that's when it starts xferring data.

I've heard conflicting info as to what the blue mode means, but if I were Moto, that's where I'd start. A user in another forum said that corp sync doesn't drain the battery when set up with Gmail, but does when he configures it for another product (which is what I have).

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I'm in California...we've been accused of being 'fringe' but I'm in a city :)

3G is fine, the issue is it starts passing data non-stop if corp sync is configured or b/g data is enabled (so disabling b/g data is the least intrusive option).

Here's what I got yesterday: disabled it at 3:30pm, battery still had 40% remaining after 8 hours. This morning, it still has 40% remaining (I use nighttime mode).

The only other clue is, when b/g data is disabled, the 3G indicator turns white and stays that way. Whenever 3G is blue, that's when it starts xferring data.

I've heard conflicting info as to what the blue mode means, but if I were Moto, that's where I'd start. A user in another forum said that corp sync doesn't drain the battery when set up with Gmail, but does when he configures it for another product (which is what I have).
I've noticed that since the Gingerbread updates (both the leaked and the last OTA) the my 3g and bars periodically change from blue to white and back to blue. Does anyone know what this is an indication of?

OP
Skates12

Skates12

Reaction score
***MAJOR UPDATE***

When I enabled b/g data this morning to allow the Pro to sync, 3G turned blue as usual, but the up/down arrows didn't light solidly as before when it always indicated the data churn had started up again.

I decided to leave it enabled. For some reason, the churn has stopped. Even though I did a soft reset - and later a battery-pull reset - the churn has not returned. The com.Motorola.service.main is also no longer locked.

I've been off the charger for 7 hours and still have 20% charge left. Device temperature has stayed between 80 - 95 degrees all day.

Here's the kicker; I didn't DO anything. The problem stopped on its own!

I wonder if Vz or Moto were doing anything on the back-end after I opened my trouble-ticket? No idea, but even if I get 8 hours out of my battery, I can live with it.

Now, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the problem doesn't come back!

(Sorry for posting in two places, but I wanted to make sure everyone with the battery-drain issue sees this)

OP
Skates12

Skates12

Reaction score
JP, several posts online say that when 3G is in white, it means it's attached to the n/w (in our case Vz).

When it turns blue, they say that means it's communicating with Google's servers.

However, when I asked Moto's level II tech support rep about this yesterday, he said that isn't correct & that blue just indicates a strong connection.

All I know is, if we disable background data, the 3G indicator turns white and remains that way. The moment we re-enable it, it turns blue.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
JP, several posts online say that when 3G is in white, it means it's attached to the n/w (in our case Vz).<br />
<br />
When it turns blue, they say that means it's communicating with Google's servers.<br />
<br />
However, when I asked Moto's level II tech support rep about this yesterday, he said that isn't correct & that blue just indicates a strong connection.<br />
<br />
All I know is, if we disable background data, the 3G indicator turns white and remains that way. The moment we re-enable it, it turns blue.

Blue indeed indicates Google sync is functional, in no way does it indicate signal strength.