Bluetooth started killing my battery

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
I've had a new problem within the last couple weeks; Bluetooth seems to be causing massive wakelocks and killing my battery.

I've tried everything I could think of short of a full FDR; rebooted, cleared cache and data for the Bluetooth application, turned off my Pebble watch and deleted the Pebble app from my phone, deleted all my Bluetooth device profiles, and cleared the entire cache partition (from the Recovery menu).

The way it is now, with no bluetooth device profiles even defined, as soon as I turn the Bluetooth radio on, the "Awake" bar in the stock battery app goes completely SOLID (massive wakelocks preventing the phone from sleeping). When I turn the radio off, it goes back to normal. This is a new problem that developed sometime in the last couple weeks, no new apps or changes on my part.

Unfortunately, since Google locked down the battery stats, I can no longer use helpful third party tools like Wakelock Detector or Better Battery Stats, to get more specific info, just the stock battery app which shows the solid "Awake" bar, and indicates a "Stay awake" time for the Bluetooth app of hours at a time, unless I keep the radio off.

Anyone seen anything like this, or have other ideas on how to diagnose/fix it, besides doing an FDR (which I don't have time for right now)?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Are you rooted?

OP
MattE303

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
no, it's not rooted.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
If you can root, you could use Amplify to see wakelocks.

OP
MattE303

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
If you can root, you could use Amplify to see wakelocks.
my understanding is that it's extremely difficult to root this phone with the newer OS's (I have the current version of Lollipop for Verizon edition phones).

OP
MattE303

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
thanks, to be honest, the stuff in the dev forum there goes way over my head, but it does appear that the available root methods (eg. towelroot) stopped working with OS releases around June of last year. I did search the S5 help/troubleshooting forum and found a post that sounds very similar, but it was just someone with the problem and no replies. I added my info to bump the thread, maybe someone there will have some insight/ideas.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I think your right, in that the latest update prevents you from downgrading, rooting and then upgrading to lollipop. I will double check for you though and see what I can find.