Former Iphone user wants a droid

cttooch

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I am a former Iphone user and I really want a Droid but I'm not sure what one to get. I am a part time photographer so i am really interested in what phone has the best camera. I have seen some pictures taken with a droid and there were some really cool effects added to the photo. I just now have to convince my wife to get one. I already have a blackberry through my work so its hard to find the right reason to get an additional phone

should i get the droid incredible, or droid x or is there a newer version coming out soon.

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you are a photographer buy a "real" camera. PERIOD. No phone camera on the planet remotely compares to the cheapest DSLR camera.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you are a photographer buy a "real" camera. PERIOD. No phone camera on the planet remotely compares to the cheapest DSLR camera.
+1, +2, +3, +4, +5, +1,000,000

If you're dead set on getting the best camera a phone has to offer, wait till November and get the HTC phone due out then with a 10MP camera. Autofocus and 2 LEDs do not a good camera make, however great the MP rating is.

That having been said, :welcome: to the forum and enjoy your stay. :) Lots of nice folks here, lots of GREAT information, and a Mod staff second to none. Look around, play nice, and enjoy!

OP
C

cttooch

Reaction score
i have the camera's

i want a decent camera on the phone to do a gallery on my site that is strictly photos from a droid

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Droid Incredible and X both have an 8 megapixel Camera and if you are an ex iphone user the lack of a physical keyboard should not be an issue for you...as far as choosing between the two, you should probably take a trip to your local Verizon store

By the way, Welcome to the Forum

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
My suggestion go to a VZW store and spend an hour playing with the Droids and see what particular phone gives you the photo quality you are looking for. This will allow you to experience the particulars of each phone and which one works best in your hands.

Mike

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have a Droid X and I consider what it takes O.K. snapshots it abilty to focus correctly is hit or miss.

When 2.2 comes out there is supposed to be some improvements but if I plan to take pictures (not snapshots) I am bringing my Rebel with Tamron lens.:icon_ banana:

bwhite757

Reaction score
Going back to your OP, you say you have a blackberry from work?? Do you carry it all the time??? Do they allow you free reign when it comes to texting/talking on it?

If so, then my vote is just to stick with your BlackBerry, and don't get a 2nd phone. I love my Droid, but if my boss were to come to me tomorrow and say, get a BlackBerry or start paying your bill, I'd switch back to a BlackBerry in a second. I'm one of the lucky ones that my boss allowed me to chose the phone I wanted to add to their business plan. Smartphone, Dumb-Phone, didn't matter as long as I paid the for the phone, they pay for the plan. Prior to switching to their plan I was paying $115 a month for my text/talk/data plan on my BB Pearl. When they decided to give me a phone, I chose the BB Storm 1 (it had just came out), and since I have saved ~$2760 by not having to pay for a personal phone...

The $$ adds up quick, take the money you are going to spend on a phone bill and throw it into a savings account... ;)

OP
C

cttooch

Reaction score
they pretty much have a bunch of things blocked since it is through my job. i can't text, i couldn't even download the facebook app

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The Droid 2 is supposed to have the same camera as the Droid 1. I've gotten great pictures off the D1 but only when it is daytime and nothing is moving. Forget about when it is dusk or kids/pets/etc won't sit still. videos are more than acceptable to me though.

I like Mwhartman's suggestion the best. Visit a store and email yourself a bunch of pics you take from the various phones they have there.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
First off, you have to get the super secret Android Password.

We never give it out, or talk about it. It's by invite only.

You must be a novice photog if you are even considering a phone by "best camera" ...

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
With android, there are many ways around things like that. Though i'm not sure how they can block you downloading the facebook app, you could always download the apk online and just install it to the phone manually. But yeah, i have a 8 year old 2MP point and shoot at home that takes much better pictures than my 5MP Droid. It may have the resolution, but that doesnt mean a thing as far as quality. Any phone camera is simply a backup, to capture the moment, not to capture pictures.

OP
C

cttooch

Reaction score
you all don't get my point, in an earlier post i said i wanted to do a section on my site dedicated to phone pics. of course the pics won't be as good as a regular camera, duh. thanks for the help anyway