Former BlackBerry Storm user

wmscottmc

Reaction score
Im about to upgrade from the BB Storm to the Droid X, and I am new to Android.

If you were previously a BB user, and are now on an Android device, I have a couple of questions for you.

1) Did you consider a Storm 2 (or 3)?
2) Was the transition/learning curve difficult?
3) Is there any missing functionality, that you had with BB, that you miss?
4) Anything important that a former BB user should know about Android?

I more or less enjoyed the Storm, but I am really looking forward to my new Droid X in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your help!

xliderider

Reaction score
It depends in how much BB/RIM proprietary functions you used. I was never into BBM, so I never missed it. People just use Gtalk to replace BBM. Just about everything else can be duplicated, or a solution found by finding the perfect app.

After about a week on Android, you should be pretty comfortable with the new os. ;)

xfireguru

Reaction score
I was a longtime blackberry user. Switched to the droid 6 months ago and haven't looked back. I sometimes miss the suretype keyboard, but not all the problems I had with all of my storms and even storm 2.

Also, bbm was nice, but gchat and kik or pingchat seem like good alternatives.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

J

Johnly

If you were previously a BB user, and are now on an Android device, I have a couple of questions for you.

I more or less enjoyed the Storm, but I am really looking forward to my new Droid X in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your help!
1) no
2) a little (but two weeks, and going back would have been worse)
3) zero
4) it is completely different than a BB. You must relearn the OS. It is like going from a PC to a MAC.

You will love the X, and if you are a student with a college email, and had to use BIS, no more quarter hour polling! You can get your obscure emails much faster:icon_ banana:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
These questions are odd as they seem to assume that all BB users are the same. But FWIW:

No. I never had any interest in a BB without a full physical keyboard.
Not for me but I'm very technically oriented. Android is certainly very different from a BB. It's not just the learning curve, but realizing that many things are done very differently in the Android world.
Profiles. That's about it. There are profiles apps for Android but nothing that fully centralizes management of all alerts (sound, vibrate, LED) like the BB. However, the Android profiles apps tend to add some functionality that the BB didn't have.

If you're a BIS user with POP accounts, there's no equivalent in the Android world. You can use gmail's mail fetcher but it doesn't seem to respond to POP account activity as well as BIS from what I've read.

If I was a corporate Android user, I'd be concerned about the lack of built-in device management tools that BB has in the BES world but my Droid is my personal device so none of that is relevant to me.

Oh -- a good physical keyboard. Though Swype has mostly addressed that.

As always, don't assume that Android works like your former device. You can drop any OCD BB habits that you picked up (routine battery pulls, fretting over available memory, etc). Don't assume that you have to use the stock apps like you did on your BB.

Last edited:

matt212308

Reaction score
I went from the Storm to the Motorola Droid.

1) Did you consider a Storm 2 (or 3)? No, I grew tired of the BB OS and wanted something new and different.
2) Was the transition/learning curve difficult? Not at all.
3) Is there any missing functionality, that you had with BB, that you miss? Honestly, I can not think of one capability that I lost, but I have gained some.
4) Anything important that a former BB user should know about Android? My phones are for personal use only, so I am not sure if there any major differences to be concerned if you use enterprise services.

I do not regret making the switch at all for any reason.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's really no comparison, there is a learning curve as others have mentioned. You will have to forget everything about Blackberry...don't attempt to make mental comparisons, like worrying about app memory, battery pulls. Droid is a whole different ball game.

When I speak I am talking about the Motorola Droid, not the X. I have no experience with that but I imagine that it will be quite similar in several ways to the Droid.

Reaction score

Thanks for your help!

Heyo. I had a Storm from release until about March of this year.Then bought a Droid. Did not consider Storm2 since I was just tired with the BlackBerry platform. Despite their marketshare it just seems antiquated.

Picking up Android was as easy as it can get. Only thing I missed from BlackBerry was the 10 minute reboots (lol /sarcasm)

Only thing that's majorly different is if you used BB Messenger a lot or BES/exchange stuff. Not that the Droid can't do exchange just requires a little setup.

altovintner

Reaction score
Very happy Moto Droid user here.

My answers:
1) No
2) No
3) No
4) Moving to the Droid is like having a small laptop in your pocket. There is no comparison, imho, between the two.

Like some others have posted, I am very glad I went to a Droid and have never looked back. FYI, my wife still has a Storm 1 that I sometimes have to deal with at her request. While going to a Storm was a good experience for me, the Moto Droid trounces it. One of my concerns was the email, which is great on a Storm. Have not missed a beat with the Droid. Moreover, I find that voice call quality is better on the Droid. (Heavens! I am one of those who actually uses their Droid as a phone! :) )

Rated_R

Reaction score

I Had a Storm 1 and a Storm 2 before I got my Droid.

Not really. I am a phone junky so it wasn't hard.

I do kind of miss BBM but that can be easily replaced by text. Take that back. I dont miss it at all. It was just a useless medium to use instead of texting.

No daily battery pulls. No worries of what is running in the background.

On a side note, and I might get flamed for this, I miss the hardware of my storm 2. NOT THE SOFTWARE. My friend still has my storm 2 and every time I see it all I can think is damn thats one sexy phone. If someone hacked it to run android I would use it instead.

But the BB OS is garbage compared to Android.