FM Tuner?

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The hardware is there, but there is no antenna for it to work, so even though they got the FM radio activated etc. they had no way of actually sending/receiving FM signals, now if you wanted to open up your droid and find a way to connect the FM radio to your headphone jack then mod all the necessary files you could have FM on your droid! Doesn't sound worth it huh?

The hardware part of that would be a breeze, but the software would require me to start from scratch: I couldn't even tell you what language the phone is built on. So no, not worth it haha.

OP
Arkbird

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well if every phone after the D1 has a working FM tuner, then we should be good on the Bionic. I really do hope there is a tuner in it.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
The other problem with the D1 and the FM was no software/drivers. A lot of folks tried to get that one running, to no avail. We had one apk that partially worked, by firing up, but the tuning would not function. I downloaded the D3 apk in eager anticipation of giving it a whirl. I hope this is one spec/hardware configuration that the Bionic is indeed a kissing cousin to the D3. I understand (at least I think) why the radios have been either non-functional or non-software supported in earlier phones, but there are lots of folks like me who do not have the ability to stream my local channels due to living more remote.

Craig

vfret

Reaction score
You are all wrong. Razr does have an fm tuner chip built in.

I would advise against trusting that Best Buy buyers guide. The guide also shows a dot to represent the Droid Charge of having an FM radio tuner and it absolutely positively does NOT have one. Source Samsung DROID Charge Review And on top of that my friend and my wife have a Droid Charge and confirmed that it does not.

That doesn't mean the Bionic doesn't have an FM radio. It's still unknown at this point unless someone else has a more reliable source other than the Best Buy guide.

I have had the FM tuner App installed on my razr from when I bought it new. However, after the first update if disapeared. I had used it all the time before the update. Now the phone companys want us all to stream instead of receiving. This uses up your data plan and is good fo them. Now I just use my old Droid X for when Im on my boat or whatever to receive free FM radio instead of having to stream it and kill my battery in about an hour. Screw you android for removing something that worked with something that sucks.

radjazz

Reaction score
I would love to have it as well. I found one on another website but it keeps saying install failed.

*edit it got mine from droid life as well. Keeps saying application not installed....

Last edited: