Flappy Birds Creator Wants to Save Us From Ourselves (and his addictive game)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flappy-Bird-Game-Over.jpg

The latest reasoning put forth by Flappy Birds creator, Dong Nguyen, for the quick pull down of his popular app is fascinating to say the least. Apparently, he felt the need to save users from their own compulsive behavior. In other words, he thought the game was too addictive. Here's a quote with more of the details,

Talking to Forbes, Nguyen said he didn’t really expected users to develop an obsession for his game. “Flappy Bird was designed to play in a few minutes when you are relaxed. But it happened to become an addictive product. I think it has become a problem. To solve that problem, it’s best to take down Flappy Bird. It’s gone forever.” Dealing with this global craze affected Nguyen’s life: “my life has not been as comfortable as I was before. I couldn’t sleep,” he said.

Nguyen didn’t confirm or deny the $50,000 in daily revenue that The Verge reported he was making off Flappy Bird. “I don’t know the exact figure, but I do know it’s a lot.” All that money probably got the 29-year old indie developer more attention than he ever wanted. Indeed, according to Forbes, the developer had met with Vietnam’s deputy prime minister just before he gave the interview. The attention was probably the main reason to quit for the secretive developer, who refused to be photographed and whose own parents hadn’t even known about Flappy Bird until media coverage “spun of out of control.”

Supposedly, the app's creator is now much happier and sleeps better. He said he looks forward to creating new games in the future. Now that he has been "touched" by the specter of fame, isn't it possible that any new game he creates will have the possibility to spiral out of control again? Share your thoughts...

Source: AndroidAuthority

jspradling7

Reaction score
It's been pulled from Playstore and it still won't die. : )

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
This guy acts like he helped create a used atomic bomb. What a joke.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
-A man is entitled to his personal beliefs.

-He is also entitled to determine whether he wishes to share the product of his hard work or not.

and yet it won't stop, someone will release a clone, then another, then another... he won't be able to stop it...

and it doesn't sound like he wants to be in the limelight so I doubt he'll sue anyone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This guy acts like he helped create a used atomic bomb. What a joke.
In his defense there have been multiple acts of violence over this game, most recently a teen stabbing his brother 17 times to death (the number of the victim's high score). It's ridiculous to get violent over a game, but many people today don't have a good head on their shoulders.

As zomnomnombie said, he's entitled to his beliefs and as the creator of the game he has the right to do what he wants with it. If he feels this makes life more simple for him and keeps people sane, then so be it.

It doesn't stop "clones" of the game from being made, but if it helps him sleep better at night then that's all it should be about.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Wonder if there was an truth to him being afraid of Nintendo coming after him for using some SMB sprites.

swc2001

Reaction score
I never knew about it until he took it down already.... so I had to see what it was about. So I downloaded it from the Pirate Bay. I love and Hate that little game. My best score is 40.

TatDroid

Reaction score
I never knew about it until he took it down already.... so I had to see what it was about.
You - and millions of others, I suspect. When he "announced" that he would take it down, before he actually did, it created huge publicity - and hundreds of thousands of downloads.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I mean I could really care less but, this is extremely dramatic.

In his defense there have been multiple acts of violence over this game, most recently a teen stabbing his brother 17 times to death (the number of the victim's high score)..

This game did not create violence or will any other IMO.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I mean I could really care less but, this is extremely dramatic.

This game did not create violence or will any other IMO.

This didn't create violence but if I heard something like that I know I would be upset. I would probably not take it down but I would definitely have to step away for a while.

Reaction score
I bet we can find an apk for it online some place. I see people selling their phones with the game on it but seriously. Only if ppl knew how to download and install apk files

Sent from my XT1080 using Droid Forums

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Pm for apk.

Sent from my Moto X DE