Fitness Friday 9/5/14 Topic: Training

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
tumblr_n101ybQhGq1qkbxb1o1_500.jpg

Every time you turn around there is some workout plan or program that promises results; whether it be P90X, crossfit, Insanity, cardio, boot camp, weight training, etc. And to be honest when done right you can gain results from any and all of those methods just as when done wrong you can end up disappointed. And as much as crossfit gets mocked by some weight trainers, I have seen people in the best of shape floored by a high intense crossfit work out. As a person trying to get in shape you may be asking us "so which one do I do?"

As I said above each and every one of those training methods can yield you results and we will cover in further detail on those methods in a later article, but for right now we going to cover the basics of what it takes to have success during your training sessions as well as some tips.

1. Bring the intensity: I have seen people get more out of their work out in 15 minutes than people who spend hours at the gym. You can waste 2 hours at the gym but if all you are doing between sets is flapping your gums and checking social media then you are not getting the most out of your work out. Tip: Next time you are at the gym try setting out 2 or 3 workouts in a circuit where you do one workout and move to the next immediately. Keep the intensity up during the entire time you are working out and you will begin to see results.
  2. Cardio vs Strength training (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_training_wars.htm): With cardio (ie running, treadmill, elliptical) the calories you burn ends when you are done while weight training you can burn calories up to 36 hours after you are done training. For those trying to lose weight you want a workout program that heavily leans on strength training. Tip: the best time to do cardio is first thing in the morning (or when you wake up for those who work night shift) on an empty stomach as your body will burn stored fat for energy vs the carbs that you ate before the work out. Follow this with high intense strength training later in the day as the food you ate will give you the energy to complete the high intense training.
  3. Accountability: Find people who are as committed to achieving a fit and healthy lifestyle and challenge them to keeping each other committed to achieving one's goals. Whether it be a weekly weigh in or submitting what you consumed (diet wise), having a challenge will help with keeping you focused.
So no matter what method you choose to obtain your fitness goal remember to bring the intensity, include high intense strength training in your workout to go with the cardio, stay focused, and make sure you are eating right. Because no matter how hard you work, if you go home and eat junk it will be like spending all day to dig a hole and right before you go home throw majority of the dirt back in the hole, it will take longer to get to the depth you are trying to reach if you are having to re-dig the same dirt you threw on the pile.

jspradling7

Reaction score
You're a lot more into this than I ever was and I enjoy reading your posts. In my younger years I preferred swimming over other exercise. It kept my body temp down, provided many reps, made me focus on breathing, and didn't bulk me up. I like light body weight and toned. I loved racket ball so being nimble and quick was my goal.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I did, for a while, drink the high protein and carb shakes and weight lift. I didn't "bulk up" but I did increase mass. There is a certain satisfaction in being greeted by someone, who while trying to just appear to be being friendly, tests your strength by giving you a pulling hand shake or grabbing you by the arm to shake you and it's them that moves not you.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
True on the diet.. But one thing you didn't mention.. Or i didn't see it... adding lean muscle mass will help you to burn calories all the time... So regardless of the type of journey a person takes... You should always try to build some mass..