First DX Custom Rom?

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
I am very interested to see what the first released custom rom will be. I am still very new to this droid stuff but i have been reading none stop. Im still not sure which rom is best because afterall i have to test a few of em out and see which one i like best but i cant wait to get in to it.

chikibabe

Reaction score
i'm also a newbie but from reading all the forums, it seems it may not happen at all since the bootloader's encrypted and that's quite a feat ... to defeat..

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah it's likely that you won't be able to load custom roms on the X for a while if never.

OP
Dark_Jedi

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
Yea thats what im afraid of..thats prolly the only thing that im not liking about the DX.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The X has a locked boot loader. The boot loader needs to be cracked in order to load recovery and custom ROMs.... so far it doesn't look good.

Look at the Milestone, it has a signed boot loader and it's still an issue

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm just waiting till the price drop's to grab a X for research purposes. I'm positive someone will crack it by then. If you already have an X keep your fingers crossed. Make sure not to be so caught up in ROM flashing that you forget to enjoy all the awesome stuff its already packing.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Read the following:

MyDroidWorld - Droid X is locked down, root possible but custom kernels and roms are out !!!

How the Droid X is locked down? Let me tell you what I know.

it may very well NEVER be cracked...... I keep seeing alot of comments around about how "eventually it will be cracked", "nothing is uncrackable", etc. BUT I don't think very many folks have any experience with a system like the DROID X uses.

There ARE devices out there that can never be cracked, and simply cannot load custom firmware. Any BlackBerry device on the market comes to mind. The security on the DROID X, from what i've been reading, is even MORE locked down.

haledroid

Reaction score
I'm not wasting my money on the droid x because of this. No overclocking, no custom roms, and no sprecovery are the main reasons. Two thumbs down for Motorola. :rating00:

Zalyia38

Reaction score
This is such BS. If I pay for my phone what's the big deal to them if I customize it?! Why would they lock it? Does anyone know the reasoning behind it?

If it ain't cracked.... then Moto won't get any MORE money outta me and I'll keep my sweet customized Droid :p

anuraj1

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I have read on this forum, multiple times that if its been written it can be hacked.

According to P3Droid (who brought us Droid Froyo in the first place) The Droid X is hardware encrypted. So it isn't a matter of hacking written software. A hardware "fuse" trips, literally turning the device into a brick.

The fuse can apparently be un-tripped, but it takes specialized hardware and JTAG language software, which normal people don't have access to.

I am hoping that it isn't this complicated, but from what I'm reading, I'm not getting my hopes up.

magikmarkur

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I have read on this forum, multiple times that if its been written it can be hacked.

According to P3Droid (who brought us Droid Froyo in the first place) The Droid X is hardware encrypted. So it isn't a matter of hacking written software. A hardware "fuse" trips, literally turning the device into a brick.

The fuse can apparently be un-tripped, but it takes specialized hardware and JTAG language software, which normal people don't have access to.

I am hoping that it isn't this complicated, but from what I'm reading, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Seems complex and thanks for the info.

Question: If it is some sort of "trip" would that require the device to be physically opened in order to root or would some complex software be sufficient.

As you can see I have little knowledge of how Androids work.