First Droid ever, coming from Blackberry. Questions....

Chosen_One

Reaction score
I've had Blackberries for many years. Finally decided to join the revolution, and Droid finally put out a phone I like with the Droid 4. I've had it for a few days now and have some questions. If anyone can offer insight on any of the following it would be appreciated:

1. Email - I have one gmail account (personal) and a godaddy account (work). I have them both setup to receive mail in the combined email app. It rarely works. The app doesn't push email, and rarely updates. Even when I manually refresh it, at times it says 'No Data Connection' even in 4G service. I can use the Gmail App for my personal email and get actual push email, but what about my godaddy account? Is there an email app that I can use for this account besides the stupid combined email crap? It''s horrible. I'm used to haveing push email on all my email accounts and have never had to worry about not receiving my mail on Blackberry.

2. Light Flow on Droid 4 - Does it work? I've played with it a bit, but it doesn't seem to function properly.

3. "Apps" Application - It's glued to the bottom row of 4 icons. I can change the first three icons, but not this one. Is there a way to replace the "Apps" icon with something else?

4. MMS - Sometimes it sends, sometimes it doesn't. What's going on here?

5. Pixlr-O-Matic App - Any way to have this app save images to the SD card instead of the internal memory?

That's all for now. Much thanks for any answers to solve any of these questions.

reybie

Reaction score
1. I use K-9 email app for my work email. Does push email.

2. Light Flow - works for me... check the accessibility permission that it requires.

3. Apps -- I changed the launcher so I can customize it. I'm using Go Launcher from the Market (or whatever it's called now)

4. MMS - haven't really had an issue with this with the stock app.

5. No idea, sorry :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, and to the world of Android...

One question that might pertain to your MMS issue and your "no data" issue in the Mail app - are you in an area that gets solid 4G, or is it in and out?

OP
C

Chosen_One

Reaction score
We actually just got 4G this week. Always had 3G though and it's been solid. I can't comment to the strength of the 4G, since it's so new to the area though.

OP
C

Chosen_One

Reaction score
Installed GoLauncher. Awesome! Fixed that problem.

Gonna try the K-9 email app mentioned.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
We actually just got 4G this week. Always had 3G though and it's been solid. I can't comment to the strength of the 4G, since it's so new to the area though.

Was just curious... mainly b/c if you're in a fringe area, or an area where 4G is weak, sometimes the 'handoff' between 4G and 3G isn't handled well, and you'll lose your data connection without realizing it.

OP
C

Chosen_One

Reaction score
Also, after I send and recieve texts and emails, I get a notification that my text message was not sent (even though they go through). I click on the notification icon and it says message unavailable. Anyone know why this is happening?

OP
C

Chosen_One

Reaction score
Got the K-9 app setup. It checks my mail manually when I refresh it, but doesn't appear to have push email. I'll keep fiddling with it though. Nice app. Thanks for the heads up.

reybie

Reaction score
Got the K-9 app setup. It checks my mail manually when I refresh it, but doesn't appear to have push email. I'll keep fiddling with it though. Nice app. Thanks for the heads up.

If your work email supports IMAP, then use that when you set up the email account. I have had accounts hosted at Godaddy before and they worked with IMAP.

r314bd

Reaction score
Could you go into a bit more detail about how you set up your email? Corporate Sync works perfectly for me with push so I'm curious what settings you used.

For text messaging, I'd recommend "Handcent SMS" from the market. It is free and is extremely customizable. Once you install it, turn off Auto-retrieve and Notifications in the stock Text Messaging app settings and turn on Auto-retrieve in the Handcent settings. You can set Handcent as the shortcut for the text messaging icon in the Go Launcher dock. You shouldn't have any more problems with messaging.