First attempt at flashing a ROM = Fail

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
may i suggest flashing SPRecovery on your droid (i dont like CW) and just download a rom file from the hacks section on here.

you probably will have to do a wipe data/cache but it will give you a fresh install and no problems (use titanium backup or Mybackup pro to save apps/settings)

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
may i suggest flashing SPRecovery on your droid (i dont like CW) and just download a rom file from the hacks section on here.

you probably will have to do a wipe data/cache but it will give you a fresh install and no problems (use titanium backup or Mybackup pro to save apps/settings)

When you say a wipe data/cache do you mean a factory reset???

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552

When you say a wipe data/cache do you mean a factory reset???

No, in layman's terms, the wipe cache is like clearing your browser history, cookies etc in Windows. Cleans out the remaining chaff to make sure you get a clean install.

When I flash a new ROM, I always select both the wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition options.
If using the SPRecovery, do those 2 options first, then "install zip from sd card". Or I believe you could even use "apply sdcard:update.zip" as long as the ROM downloaded is in the root of the sd card (meaning /sdcard file path - not in any folders on the sd card).

You could also mount your SD card and browse to /sdcard/clockworkmod/download/ and look for the location where your ROM is downloaded and copy it from there manually.
As long as the file is renamed to "update.zip" you can use the options in SPRecovery to install it. From there it should tell you when complete.

If you feel safer following a video, try this one. He does a very good job of showing you each step and explains things well. Go to step 2 if you don't need to SPRecovery part - (though it may not hurt to make sure you followed those steps too)
How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Good Luck.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
..might i also suggest titanium backup. you need root but it will back all apps AND their settings. makes it VERY EASY from going between ROMs n suchh

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
When I flash a new ROM, I always select both the wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition options.
If using the SPRecovery, do those 2 options first, then "install zip from sd card". Or I believe you could even use "apply sdcard:update.zip" as long as the ROM downloaded is in the root of the sd card (meaning /sdcard file path - not in any folders on the sd card).

Good Luck.

Ok now I am a little more confused. Is wipe data/factory reset something that you chose to do before flashing a new ROM or is that something that should be done period. When I asked in the previous post about the wipe data/cache you said that was not a reset.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Good Luck.

Ok now I am a little more confused. Is wipe data/factory reset something that you chose to do before flashing a new ROM or is that something that should be done period. When I asked in the previous post about the wipe data/cache you said that was not a reset.

before switching roms so there are no problems of them overlapping.

EDIT: garemlin, i think smalltowngirl gave you my gtalk, feel free to shoot me a message if you still have any questions

Last edited:
OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Ok I finally was able to flash the ROM. When it rebooted I am getting constant force closes on a bunch of apps at random. Especially Google Search, Gmail and other Google apps without even opening them. What do I need to do to get this phone back to stock and make it as if I never did any of this. Not liking the results.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
If you did a Nandroid backup just go back to Clockwork and do a Restore. It should take you back . I had to do it when I installed an incorrect Kernel and got an infinite bootloop.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
If you did a Nandroid backup just go back to Clockwork and do a Restore. It should take you back . I had to do it when I installed an incorrect Kernel and got an infinite bootloop.

I did a back-up but it won't let me restore it now.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Hmm..if u did a Nandroid backup b4 u flashed the ROM, u will be able to go to Clockwork and select Advanced, (I think) then select Nandroid Restore. From there it should give u a date of when u did the Nandroid backup. Select the date and it should reboot, (maybe manual reboot) to the state b4 you flashed the ROM.

What ROM did you flash BTW?