Finally out of contract

v1ru5

Reaction score
As the title states I am free from my contract. Paying $160 a month for unlimited with 700 mins and a flip phone for my pops is just outrageous. Gonna get him on a straight talk plan. Am considering either straight talk or T-Mobile depending on how the service is where I live. Any advice on jumping ship to a cheaper service?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My only advice would be look at the Verizon pre pay option before Straight Talk or T-Mobile.
When I left Verizon for no contract I went to T-Mobile but my wife stayed with Verizon. She got a sweet deal for her uses and the Verizon network that she is comfortable on.

OP
V

v1ru5

Reaction score
I talked to a T-Mobile rep and he's sending me a prepay card for $10 that I can return in 20 days to test out the service in my area so worst case I'll be out $4 for two days worth of service. I've been buying my phones used or outright so I really have no reason to be on with Verizon

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised at how well T-Mobile had improved signal in my area. Another benefit to them is lack of network congestion. They've got a powerful network where there's signal but a small customer base using it compared to big red and big blue.

OP
V

v1ru5

Reaction score
Yeah I was also told that service has came a long way in the last few years so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Also loving the no overages they just slow you to 3g speed which is not a big deal

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
3G on T-Mobile is much faster than it is on Verizon.
Where I was surprised was the increase in rural coverage BUT in areas where you're roaming on AT&T data network watch your usage because you will get zapped for overages after a very minuscule roaming allotment.

OP
V

v1ru5

Reaction score
Well on the smart phones you can turn off the roaming right? I'm ready to ditch big red so fast. Does T-Mobile buy out contracts? Say do an "upgrade" n score a phone at a discount then have T-Mobile buy it out?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Yes. Tmo will pay up to $350 per line terminated if you also turn in your phone to them.

Edit: We just did their free 7 day test drive to confirm their network is good in our area. They send you an iPhone 5S for 7 days to use. They do put a hold on your card for the amount of the phone, but it drops off right away.

OP
V

v1ru5

Reaction score
You mean turning in the Verizon phone back to Verizon?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No, turning it in to Tmo.

OP
V

v1ru5

Reaction score
Oh awesome, may be a sweet way to get a turbo for cheap and ditch the big red

OP
V

v1ru5

Reaction score
Cool deal I'm feeling very hopeful on the tmob coverage, everything they offer sounds excellent compared to big red. I did notice once the smart phones started taking off on Verizon the 3g was garbage, YouTube would crawl when it used to work fine

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I just got 4 lines with unlimited talk and text, free music streaming, and 5gb of data each for $180 a month. I paid full price for the phones though. Otherwise with their Jump monthly phone installments it would have been $320.