FINALLY got a GOOD GNex!

bgrubb7

Reaction score
It took 3 replacements, but I finally got a GOOD GNex. My first phone wasn't bad at all... I got an occasional data drop every now and then, but it was manageable. Biggest problem with the first was the Camera would not connect after switching from camera to another app, then back to camera. Finally, the volume rocker quit so I made the call to VZ and got a replacement. The 2nd Gnex was almost unusable. I would lose network connection several times a day. WiFi to 3G handoff (I'm not in a 4G area) was non-existant. The only way to regain 3G was to restart (toggling Airplane mode didn't do it).

On to Gnex number 3. Network connectivity was better, but still not acceptable. Occasional data drops, but 3G speed was slower than the other 2 phones. Streaming Audio with TuneIn, Slacker or Google Music was horrible. The Camera connection issues were back. GPS was also unusable. I could only connect to a GPS satellite after a fresh restart... any other time it would just search for a satellite indefinitely. This time I was DONE with the GNex all together, but not enamored with my exchange options (Razr Maxx would work, but I hate the screen), I decided to give the GNex ONE MORE try...

Keep in mind I had tried both Stock Unlocked 4.0.2 and various 4.0.4 ROMS, with 4.0.4 radios on all of these phones. My problems were definitely hardware issues.

So far 5 days in, this 4th GNex seems to be perfect. Not ONE data drop. Wifi to 3G handovers are seamless. No Camera issues. GPS finds a satellite in seconds. Even Google Music streams with almost no interruptions. I'm back baby! DancingNexus

I guess I just felt the need to post this, as I figured there were plenty of other people like me who were otherwise in love with the Nexus, but couldn't deal with the bugs. It may take several replacements but if your like me and are not crazy over the other options VZ has right now, then don't give up... Good Nexuses DO exist.

Reaction score
They probably just fixed the lte network in your area. My same phone has much better reception now than it first did.

OP
B

bgrubb7

Reaction score
I am not in an LTE area. 3G only. I can verify that it is a hardware issue. Phone #3 was worthless just before #4 was delivered. Once #4 was setup, it was noticably better.

mrkelly88

Reaction score
I just got my 3rd replacement today... My orignal GNex, the GPS didn't work but I always had great signal and it never dropped. The 2nd one, signal loss was happening every 15 minutes in an area where I have four bars of 4g (it would drop data, then 0 bars, no texts/calls) 3rd one had the same problem as the 2nd. This 4th replacement has me kind of frustrated (like I wasn't already before). I lost signal twice in Best Buy before I walked away from getting this replacement and I noticed it drop twice on my way home (while still in a 4g area).

Best Buy told me if I need another replacement they will give me a new one off the shelf. I told them I was going to try this out and see what happens before they give me a new one..... I just want a GNex that works like it should.

MyDroid23

Reaction score
I am glad to hear that some of you are having success with replacement phones. But let me ask you this. When have you purchased something that you paid over $200 for to get it replaced several times just to return it again and again?? This is RIDICULOUS and like I mentioned before all of you guys experiencing problems should file a complaint with the BBB. Once you get that ball rolling it will line everyone with previous complaints. Someone will take notice and I believe we might have a case against Verizon to compensate consumers of any problems they've had.

GoBears

Reaction score
What's ridiculous? A case against Verizon? For what? They don't manufacture the phones and yet they give you no hassle in promptly getting you a new replacement. The percentage of people that actually had to return their GNex is incredibly small. You just don't read about the 99% that are satisfied with their purchase. I'm just glad they got the GNex for me to enjoy as is probably 97% of this forum. Peace out.

MyDroid23

Reaction score
What's ridiculous? A case against Verizon? For what? They don't manufacture the phones and yet they give you no hassle in promptly getting you a new replacement. The percentage of people that actually had to return their GNex is incredibly small. You just don't read about the 99% that are satisfied with their purchase. I'm just glad they got the GNex for me to enjoy as is probably 97% of this forum. Peace out.

No timely updates, unreliable network and NOT THE MOST RELIABLE NETWORK!! 4G/LTE with CDMA is having a hard time coexisting on Verizon's network. These are all VErizon's problems and not Samsung. This phone was meant to work stock and not for people to root and rom!! The majority of the consumers bought this phone for it to work in its intended purpose. :mad:

GoBears

Reaction score
Yep and it works great for the large majority of people is what I'm trying to say. Well good luck, cause you're going to need it in trying to get "compensation" from Verizon for your ordeal with dealing with the GN and LTE. Peace out.

MyDroid23

Reaction score
Yep and it works great for the large majority of people is what I'm trying to say. Well good luck, cause you're going to need it in trying to get "compensation" from Verizon for your ordeal with dealing with the GN and LTE. Peace out.

I think from what I've read the majority of the folks are experiencing PROBLEMS with the GNex. Where are you basing your facts from? are you a technical analyst for Verizon? Funny how people talk and create hype over something bad and not something good, huh. I assure you I can find more threads with people having problems than not.:hail:

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Of course you will find more threads about Nexus problems, happy people don't usually post. We have 3 in our house and they all rock, even after 1 took a swim then sat in a bag of rice for a week. They're more reliable, in our area, than my wife's RAZR!

Reaction score
I think from what I've read the majority of the folks are experiencing PROBLEMS with the GNex. Where are you basing your facts from? are you a technical analyst for Verizon? Funny how people talk and create hype over something bad and not something good, huh. I assure you I can find more threads with people having problems than not.:hail:

right, the majority of GN owners across the planet are having problems!......you should leave your mother's basement :icon_eek: