Few noob questions post root.

AlexSB

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just rooted this past weekend and flashed my first ROM today (Squidly 2.3.2.20 is amazing, thanks spaz for the steps you laid out in another thread) so I'm still new to all this. I flashed using Droid 2 Bootstrap and I also downloaded Titanium Backup. I got a few questions before I try to flash other ROMs:

1). Since I flashed using Droid 2 Bootstrap, if I want to flash other ROMs can I still use Droid 2 Bootstrap? Or do I need ROM manager? What exactly is difference between the two?

2). You're suppose to wipe before flashing ROMs right? So is this like a factory reset and you lose everything? And this is where titanium backup comes in? So it would work by creating a back up, redownloading it from the market, and restore from there?

3). Theming? Will each ROM has its own direction in terms of themes or are there general apps that help me change the look?

I haven't Overclocked yet but I'll messing with that soon enough :) Any other advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just rooted this past weekend and flashed my first ROM today (Squidly 2.3.2.20 is amazing, thanks spaz for the steps you laid out in another thread) so I'm still new to all this. I flashed using Droid 2 Bootstrap and I also downloaded Titanium Backup. I got a few questions before I try to flash other ROMs:

1). Since I flashed using Droid 2 Bootstrap, if I want to flash other ROMs can I still use Droid 2 Bootstrap? Or do I need ROM manager? What exactly is difference between the two?

You will still use the bootstrapper. Rom manager is more or less useless on the droid 2.

2). You're suppose to wipe before flashing ROMs right? So is this like a factory reset and you lose everything? And this is where titanium backup comes in? So it would work by creating a back up, redownloading it from the market, and restore from there?

Its indeed a factory reset that you will preform in clockwork. And yes you have the steps right. Use titanium to back up all your apps and then once your new rom is flashed you will dl tb and restore all your apps.

3). Theming? Will each ROM has its own direction in terms of themes or are there general apps that help me change the look?

Each rom will have themes that are made for/ported to it. Themes are flashed in clockwork like a rom but don't require a wipe.

I haven't Overclocked yet but I'll messing with that soon enough :) Any other advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Answered some questions in the quote.

tappin and a talkin

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score

You will still use the bootstrapper. Rom manager is more or less useless on the droid 2.

Its indeed a factory reset that you will preform in clockwork. And yes you have the steps right. Use titanium to back up all your apps and then once your new rom is flashed you will dl tb and restore all your apps.

Each rom will have themes that are made for/ported to it. Themes are flashed in clockwork like a rom but don't require a wipe.

Answered some questions in the quote.

tappin and a talkin

I can basically delete ROM manager then? For titanium backup is the paid version how I freeze apps? Thanks a lot for your help man.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Any time. You can back up and restore apps with the free version but you need the paid one to freeze apps.

tappin and a talkin

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Spaz is the man :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
Thanks Imma look into getting the paid version soon then. I gotta question about Root Explorer though, is it like the Astro for rooted version? Why would I need another Astro?

Spaz is the man :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

LOL yea he is, I'm surprised he doesn't have a fanclub yet though lol

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You guys are too kind. Anyway root explorer is indeed a file manager like astro but it has way more abilities. For one it can mount your system from ro (read only) to rw (read writeable)

Long story short you wont need it till you need it.

tappin and a talkin

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
Lol oh ok I'll just stick to Astro for now. Are there any other apps I need to get/should get now that I'm rooted? I'm gonna read that Overclocking 101 novel of a post soon before I start messing with Overclocking my phone.

Reaction score
Use SetCPU to drop your processor speed when your screen turns off, it helps with battery life, immensely.

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
Oh snap good looking out man im probably going to download setcpu first just for that reason even before I start OC

Sent from my D2 running squidlys mod