Feeling left out in the cold!!!!

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I have been rocking the Droid 1 since January and I have been rooted since day 1. I am already running Froyo and loving it. However, my wife just got rid of her HTC Eris for the Incredible and i am wondering if I should bail my D1 and get the D2 or DX. It is comforting to hear that the DX has been rooted and the steps are in progress to change the kernel and add custom roms.

Playing with my wife Incredible, I really like the form factor and the smoothness. I really want to hold out for the Samsung Fascinate, but I am getting a little antsy with the release of the Droid 2.

Anybody else ready to put their D1 aside and jump on one of the newer phones that are out, but are impatiently waiting for more?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my girlfriend got a Droid X and I play with it more than she does. I play with it more than her. :icon_eek: She even told me to shut up about it last night cuz I was going crazy talking about all the stuff she could do with it. "Enough already. We've been talking about this for 2 weeks!" Women...

Let the front-line early adopters figure everything out. For example, the Droid X should not be out right now. [Entering opinion zone] It's as simple as that. Between the SMS program bogging down, the GPS sleep bug, the poor-ass excuses for virtual keyboards...it takes an IT pro to figure out how to set the thing up and use it properly. When the X's OS gets updated in the next couple of weeks, I think the kinks will be worked out. The same goes for Droid 2 even though it already has 2.2

But I love my Droid 1. There isn't a compelling reason to get the 2...other than that damn microphone button on the physical keyboard! "Droid PRO" for me...big w/ keyboard, oh yeah

As far as buying anything but Motorola...nobody beats motorola. OK, you could argue Nokia or Apple I suppose but Motorola has traditionally been and still is the #1 maker of fine cell phones on Earth. I don't want cheap plastic. I want a machine. I want a motorola.

All props to Nokia too. Any others?

legalkill

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force
I just plan to use my d1 till my 2 year rolls around. It runs fine. At the rate things are changing now who knows what will be around by late 2011. Incredible, Droid X, and Droid 2 will all be old news by then.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
I was honestly thinking about upgrading, but jeez, new phones are rolling out so quickly now! :D There are rumors floating around about Moto unleashing another phone at the end of the year. So, just guessing and speculating about what rumors would possibly be true, I'm thinking it'll be running at 1Ghz+ stock, with a front facing camera, and gingerbread. So yeah, I think I can hold out just a little longer....just...a...little...bit...longer

IanG

Reaction score
Flow chart:

Do you have $559?--No---Don't get it!
--------------------Yes--Do you ABSOLUTELY NEED it before your 2yr upgrade?
----------------------------------------No---Don't get it!
----------------------------------------Yes--Get it!

My thoughts - If you have the Droid 1, stick around for the Droid Pro (if it comes out) or something in the 1.3-1.5GHz range. :)

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
OMG just thinking about the future of smart phones....

I don't know if they'll get to the point that they completely replace a laptop/desktop computer, but as far as replacing all those other peripherals, yeah, thats going down in the next couple of years, easy.

Optical zoom, sure. Matter of time.
Projection screen. Yeah, thats emerging.

Ya know what I would REALLY like to see though. There is this experimental material (I dont know what stage its in) that can literally be rolled into a tube, it's being used to make displays. Imagine a clam shell like phone, that when you open it up, you have a nice sized capacitive touch display. :D dreams.... I think I just geeked in my pants a little

Reaction score
im still happy with my droid even after playing with an evo...i'll be fine til next fall/winter and hopefully LTE phones will be out by then..

brando56894

Reaction score
Ive always contemplated upgrading my phone since i love to be on the bleeding edge when it comes to technology, even if i dont need it. I just got my droid in march and Im slobbering over every new phone that comes out, even though I have like a year and a half let of my contract. Ill probably wait until this coming march and see if verizon will let me upgrade, if not ill either buy one outright or wait until november. I know if I upgrade anytime before november and get a new phone Ill be kicking myself that I didnt wait until my contract was done to get an even better phone. I will definitely wait until the device I want is rooted before I buy it, im not an early adopter because new products always have bugs.

There is this experimental material (I dont know what stage its in) that can literally be rolled into a tube, it's being used to make displays.

Its OLED (the same stuff thats already in (S)AMOLED), just on a different medium. I remember reading about it like a year or so ago, pretty sweet idea though if it ever comes to fruition.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Ive always contemplated upgrading my phone since i love to be on the bleeding edge when it comes to technology, even if i dont need it. I just got my droid in march and Im slobbering over every new phone that comes out, even though I have like a year and a half let of my contract. Ill probably wait until this coming march and see if verizon will let me upgrade, if not ill either buy one outright or wait until november. I know if I upgrade anytime before november and get a new phone Ill be kicking myself that I didnt wait until my contract was done to get an even better phone. I will definitely wait until the device I want is rooted before I buy it, im not an early adopter because new products always have bugs.

There is this experimental material (I dont know what stage its in) that can literally be rolled into a tube, it's being used to make displays.

Its OLED (the same stuff thats already in (S)AMOLED), just on a different medium. I remember reading about it like a year or so ago, pretty sweet idea though if it ever comes to fruition.

YES! Thats the stuff! I think there would be all kinds of applications for that material, from phones to tvs, to just about anything. Would love to buy some stock in that if it was cheap enough

Googleaddict

Reaction score
Don't feel like your left out...I'd say that at least 80 percent of Droid 1 owners wont upgrade until it's been 1 year or 2 years.Plus,why get a Droid X when it will be old news in a couple months? If you upgrade now there will come a new phone that will come out and you'd wish you would have waited. The Droid is still one of the best phones on Verizon. My friends tell me all the time that i'm so lucky to have a Droid and they wish that they had one. Nobody I know says, "Your phone sucks the X is better." If your phone works and does what it does, i'd keep it at least until your 1 year upgrade date.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Don't feel like your left out...I'd say that at least 80 percent of Droid 1 owners wont upgrade until it's been 1 year or 2 years.Plus,why get a Droid X when it will be old news in a couple months? If you upgrade now there will come a new phone that will come out and you'd wish you would have waited. The Droid is still one of the best phones on Verizon. My friends tell me all the time that i'm so lucky to have a Droid and they wish that they had one. Nobody I know says, "Your phone sucks the X is better." If your phone works and does what it does, i'd keep it at least until your 1 year upgrade date.

Like the adage says: "The best technology is always out tomorrow"

I might upgrade at the end of the year, but if the new moto phone isnt stellar I think I'll wait. Droid1 is boss at the moment, just being able to flash custom roms makes it so IMO. Not that X or 2 are lacking, but yeah, for the time being, I'm very happy with my Motor Droid1

cyber punk

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, it isn't worth using an upgrade on any of these new phones -- much less buying one at full cost. They are all incremental upgrades from the first Droid generation phones. If I were you, I would wait for something revolutionary. By that, I mean I would wait for a new phone that does things that your old phone could never do -- rather than simply doing the same things somewhat faster.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, it isn't worth using an upgrade on any of these new phones -- much less buying one at full cost. They are all incremental upgrades from the first Droid generation phones. If I were you, I would wait for something revolutionary. By that, I mean I would wait for a new phone that does things that your old phone could never do -- rather than simply doing the same things somewhat faster.

Until moto puts a forward facing camera on a phone, I wont be upgrading