Feedback on overseas usage?

Reaction score
OP I recently used my D2G in India for a month. Only the government networks (MTNL/BSNL) had 3G so I got an MTNL SIM, which was a mistake. I would get 3G and 3.5G (HSDPA) pretty consistently in Delhi, but the dropped calls, inability to make calls, and hassle of so many settings changes (you need to configure an APN to get 3G and there are like half a dozen sets of settings online, only one of which worked)...just wasn't worth it.

Hopefully the private companies (Airtel/Vodafone/etc) will have 3G for mobile phones by the time you go (right now they only have it for mobile broadband)

Also, battery life was atrocious. Compared to my D1 I was not really impressed.

Oh, really, a 1.2GHz phone running TWO cell radios simultaneously, along with 3G, getting crappy signal (thus, searching for signal constantly) got worse battery life than a 550Mhz single band cellphone?

I mean, not to be a dick, but c'mon.. What did you expect?

leobg

Reaction score
If you turn off "global" mode and stick to either CDMA (for US) or GSM/UMTS (outside US), it will not be that bad on the battery.
However - signal strenght dramatically impacts battery life on D2G, especially if you have data on. In a crappy coverage area, phone won't last more than 6 hours with light use, even on standby only! In good coverage area you can easily get thru the day even with moderate use.

Reaction score
not to be a dick
That's exactly what you're being, with a comment like that.
What did you expect?
OP asked for feedback on global use, so I gave it to him.

No one asked for your cynicism.

Sorry, maybe I posted too early in the morning (for me, I guess it wasn't all that early). The point I was trying to make is that comparing the D2G to your Droid in any fashion isn't really fair to the D2G. All the things that make it better in every other respect are going to make it look poorer in the battery department.

Soladzur

Reaction score
My D2G works fine in Ukraine (in GSM mode). I've entered the unlock code got from Verizon support.

CDMA voice here works fine as well (local CDMA operator called Intertelecom).
EVDO i'm right now fighting to enable. :)

moondroid

Reaction score
APN setting for BSNL/MTNL 3G

Quick question. What APN setting made it work? I am in India currently
and although I see an H symbol on my Droid 2 Global I am only getting
250Kb/s. A BSNL SIM gives me 1.7Mb/s.

Verizon Global support was no help.

Thanks

OP I recently used my D2G in India for a month. Only the government networks (MTNL/BSNL) had 3G so I got an MTNL SIM, which was a mistake. I would get 3G and 3.5G (HSDPA) pretty consistently in Delhi, but the dropped calls, inability to make calls, and hassle of so many settings changes (you need to configure an APN to get 3G and there are like half a dozen sets of settings online, only one of which worked)...just wasn't worth it.

Hopefully the private companies (Airtel/Vodafone/etc) will have 3G for mobile phones by the time you go (right now they only have it for mobile broadband)

Also, battery life was atrocious. Compared to my D1 I was not really impressed.