False emergency alert

Beege49

Reaction score
I got an Emergency Alert on my Droid X the other day. I had some trouble deleting it. No one I know also got one, so I knew it was false. It now shows up in the notification bar every morning when I turn my phone on, so I delete it without opening. Have I been hacked in some way, what should I do about it?

ToadTheNewsense

Reaction score
I received one as well. I did open mine and it was a test alert. After hitting "OK", it asked me if I wanted to keep receiving emergency alerts. I confirmed and haven't seen a thing since.

Sent from my MZ505 using DroidForums

OP
B

Beege49

Reaction score
I guess I don't understand why I got it and the person standing next to me with a Droid phone didn't. I know there have been false emergency alerts sent out, so I was wondering if it was just some way of a hacker verifying my phone info somehow.

Savagerun

Reaction score
Beege49 i just read your first post and it does sound odd. Get AirPush detector from the market to see if it's possibly an app pushing ads to your notification bar.
Airpush detector will find it if it is.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Tru2Chevy

Reaction score
I received one as well. I did open mine and it was a test alert. After hitting "OK", it asked me if I wanted to keep receiving emergency alerts. I confirmed and haven't seen a thing since.

Sent from my MZ505 using DroidForums

Exact same situation here. Got the test yesterday or the day before.

- Justin

OP
B

Beege49

Reaction score
Beege49 i just read your first post and it does sound odd. Get AirPush detector from the market to see if it's possibly an app pushing ads to your notification bar.
Airpush detector will find it if it is.

That's a fun app! Uninstalled several seldom-used apps after I saw the list, but some I don't want to get rid of. How do you know which might be pushing stuff to notification bar?

Savagerun

Reaction score
That's a fun app! Uninstalled several seldom-used apps after I saw the list, but some I don't want to get rid of. How do you know which might be pushing stuff to notification bar?

Normally the ones that are detected are causing ads to be pushed. Have you gotten any ads since you uninstalled the apps it detected? You can try reinstalling the apps one by one to see which one is pushing that ad you always see.
Edit... Just curious... Which apps did it detect?

Last edited:
OP
B

Beege49

Reaction score
Normally the ones that are detected are causing ads to be pushed. Have you gotten any ads since you uninstalled the apps it detected? You can try reinstalling the apps one by one to see which one is pushing that ad you always see.
Edit... Just curious... Which apps did it detect?

Well, whatever I did, it worked, because the alert didn't show up on my phone this morning, yay! As to which apps: wow, a bunch of them. I deleted most of the games, facebook, wikimobile, and some others I'm forgetting, but left some that had ads because I use them all the time, such as GPS Status, List Master Pro, QR Droid, and Dictionary, plus games Angry Birds, Solitaire Free Pack, and ZenDice. (I mean, you gotta have something to do while waiting at the doctor's office :biggrin:.) Anyway, the alert didn't show this morning, so either one of the deleted apps was doing it, or they just got tired of my lack of response.

Thanks for your help!

Savagerun

Reaction score
Yeah those ads to your notification bar don't go away till the app causing it gets uninstalled. Sounds like you got it. Some good apps are ad supported and that's perfectly fine because they are upfront about it and only show the ads when your using the app. Its the apps that are not upfront about ads pushed to your notification bar that anger me. I installed a Christmas wallpaper app in December and the following day got an ad pushed to my notification bar so i knew exactly which app caused it because it's the only one i installed in a couple weeks. I uninstalled it and the ad went away. Glad you got it.