Facebook Update

vdubbin

Reaction score
I get the "Package File was not signed correctly" error also and I did do a factory reset (different issue...). I had VZW do the 2.01 update too.

Everything else installs fine.

Your in the same boat as me then, I haven't tried a factory reset yet nor know how

czahrt

Reaction score
Just did the Factory Reset again. Facebook tried to update automatically. It failed again, same error.

To do a factory reset go to Menu - Settings then Privacy, you should see Factory Reset there. Do not do this if you are not comfortable setting up your phone from scratch, as if the VZW people just opened the box for you and handed it to you without doing anything. You have to activate and relogin to Gmail.

NOTE: You will lose any customization you've done. And you will have to follow the prompts to re-activate your phone.

Any apps you downloaded SHOULD be backed up to your Gmail account and should automatically re-install... it takes a bit of time to do this, so let the phone be for a time after going through the setup and activation. FYI: the two arrows under 3G in the notification bar will be lit up almost contantly during the app re-install time. You'll get a notification that XX number of apps were restored when it's done, which could take awhile if you have many apps installed.

After the notification you can start re-customizing the phone.

Silver Member
Reaction score
what about if you go into the admin menu (power-x/volume up-camera button) and do a clear cache and a factory reset from there?

czahrt

Reaction score
Whoa... that's about 11 GB of data... I'll have to try that at home. But why do you suggest that?

Silver Member
Reaction score
Whoa... that's about 11 GB of data... I'll have to try that at home. But why do you suggest that?
if it's bad data that's causing the issue and the factory reset is not what's clearing the issue, the common factor is something that resides, which could either be an application that is restoring itself after reset, or something on your SD card.

what if you remove it and update the app that way?

def backup your SD card. i've got about 10gb worth of junk myself, but on my last restore, i was able to blow away folders i knew i didn't need to keep, like app data and temp files, etc.

vdubbin

Reaction score
i tried installing the app with the SD card pulled, same error
and i just got done trying to do a factory reset.

it noticed the update, but still the same error after

OP
taypotts

taypotts

Reaction score
Wow I didn't realize I was so lucky to get the update. Maybe they are rolling it out slowly like the firmware?

ktruba

Reaction score
Some new info I just gathered....

The Facebook App on the Market is 1.1.2

The one that came on the phone and after I got the 2.0.1 Android update is still version 1.1.1.

If you log out of your facebook app and click the menu button you can look at "About" and it tells you what version you have. So that may help, I'm going to install the Market version because that is obviously the newer one.. We have no idea though if Verizon will update the native app right?

joegrind

Reaction score
this isn't really related to the 'facebook app' update, but has anyone noticed your contacts having multiple 'facebook profiles'...all pointing to the same profile? I have facebook contacts merged with all my phone contacts and they update daily, but I have like 3-4 facebook icons under each of their contact details. Noticed this since the OTA update on Friday. I also have 'phone only' contacts displayed fwiw.

ktruba

Reaction score
I had that two, if you go into your facebook app and then settings go to sync

click on "Remove Facebook Data" and let it do its thing, then go back in and click either syn all or sync with existing contacts and that should start it fresh with just the 1 profile.

Thats how I fixed it for myself at least....

joegrind

Reaction score
ok cool....was just wondering if it was something I did. I'll keep it as is for now....I bet I'd have to go back and merge all those profiles that have different names than my phone contact names.
Thanks!

ktruba

Reaction score
your welcome! yeah it happened to me when I told it to resync in hopes to get updated pictures of people and then is doubled the profiles.

hopefully it all works out!