Facebook Contacts Sync Fail

DriodDude

Reaction score
I synced my facebook contacts to my droid today and it went well, except for that some of my friends don't have their mobile numbers posted on their facebooks, so they were not synced to my phone.

I want to add their number to their contact in my contacts list but when i go to edit the contact, it tells me that facebook caontacts cannot be edited.:icon_eek::mad:

How can i add their mobile number to their phone without creating a new contact? or do i have to make a separat contact?

I have the stock contacts app and use handcent sms for texting.

Last edited:

mrz123

Reaction score
Make sure you are editing the contact under the regular part of the edit contact info, not under the Facebook part.

When editing contacts they are separated into regular contact info, facebook info, gmail info, etc.

OP
D

DriodDude

Reaction score
Make sure you are editing the contact under the regular part of the edit contact info, not under the Facebook part.

When editing contacts they are separated into regular contact info, facebook info, gmail info, etc.

How do i edit the regular part? When i tap their contact and it goes to their page, i press menu, then edit, and then it tells me that facebook contacts can not be edited.

mrz123

Reaction score
Ahh, so you have ur facebook contacts syncing with ur phone. Make a regular contact with the same name (as a gmail contact for example), then it should consolidate all the info into one contact.

OP
D

DriodDude

Reaction score
Ahh, so you have ur facebook contacts syncing with ur phone. Make a regular contact with the same name (as a gmail contact for example), then it should consolidate all the info into one contact.

I though about doing this, but I didn't because I thought it would just create another contact under the same name.

I did it, and It worked. Thank you mrz123.

Also, If you select "import information from existing contacts" when you get the facebook app, I believe it will only import the information if you have the names spelled as your friends to on Facebook. i.e. first and last.

OP
D

DriodDude

Reaction score
UPDATE: I successfully added my friends mobile numbers into their contact on my phone(what mrx123 said to do), multiple times, but when they text me, Handcent displays their number, not their name. It is as if it doesn't recognize that the number is in my contacts.

This is happening for multiple friends, but only the ones where I manually added their mobile numbers. Is this a problem with Handcent?

OP
D

DriodDude

Reaction score
After fixing the contacts problem, another problem popped up. Handcent would not show the person's name or their picture in the conversations list or in the actual conversation. I searched the forum and found no answers. Then, after the update a couple days ago, nothing changed...until I was about to post something bout it on the forum. Then spontaneously, it fixed itself.

If this is happening to you, don't freak out, just wait a couple days and it might just fix itself.:icon_ banana:

AyameFeitom

Reaction score
facebook sync issue: two contacts with same name

I browsed this thread briefly but didn't see exactly the answer I needed so I'm posting my question, sorry if it's been answered elsewhere.

I synced my Facebook account and chose sync all contacts. My father and brother have the same name (although while on non-mobile Facebook my father and brother's names are separated by one initial ex: Bob R Smith vs Bob Smith). When I chose to sync all my contacts it merged my father and brother into just Bob Smith with all their info listed and my brother's profile pic.

While this seems trivial I sent text messages to both my brother and Dad and they reported not receiving it though calls work. I'd like to keep them separate for convenience purposes. In my retardity I deleted the one merged contact (figuring that re-adding them may fix the issue) and now after having re added them neither will sync with Facebook even though both names match respective Facebook profile names.

I have tried what was suggested here in this forums for others' problems and that hasn't worked for me. I've synced, un-synced, restarted and banged my head on the desk, which also did not work. I gave the phone a little time and manually synced the contacts...nothing. I have tried re-adding them both separately but they are still listed as Google contacts with no pic, no Facebook profile.

Is there something I have missed that I need to do to fix this? It is irking me and I am in love with this phone, encountering no problems until now. I am sure this is simple user error and I just need to be pointed in the right direction. If someone could help me out it would be very much appreciated!

AyameFeitom

Reaction score
I also went to try what Wrenbjor suggested in this thread, but when I go to tap the photos of the contact, both my brother and my dad do not have the little line under their picture that would indicate further options upon tap....fml

OP
D

DriodDude

Reaction score
26 views and not even one suggestion? :frown:

Have you searched? This issue has been posted multiple time ;)

Yes I do a thorough search before each question I post. I hate repeat threads as much as the next guy but sometimes it is just too urgent or precise of a problem to dig through 10 pages of results, with 5+ pages per thread.

OP
D

DriodDude

Reaction score
I browsed this thread briefly but didn't see exactly the answer I needed so I'm posting my question, sorry if it's been answered elsewhere.

I synced my Facebook account and chose sync all contacts. My father and brother have the same name (although while on non-mobile Facebook my father and brother's names are separated by one initial ex: Bob R Smith vs Bob Smith). When I chose to sync all my contacts it merged my father and brother into just Bob Smith with all their info listed and my brother's profile pic.

While this seems trivial I sent text messages to both my brother and Dad and they reported not receiving it though calls work. I'd like to keep them separate for convenience purposes. In my retardity I deleted the one merged contact (figuring that re-adding them may fix the issue) and now after having re added them neither will sync with Facebook even though both names match respective Facebook profile names.

I have tried what was suggested here in this forums for others' problems and that hasn't worked for me. I've synced, un-synced, restarted and banged my head on the desk, which also did not work. I gave the phone a little time and manually synced the contacts...nothing. I have tried re-adding them both separately but they are still listed as Google contacts with no pic, no Facebook profile.

Is there something I have missed that I need to do to fix this? It is irking me and I am in love with this phone, encountering no problems until now. I am sure this is simple user error and I just need to be pointed in the right direction. If someone could help me out it would be very much appreciated!

I had the same problem of Facebook not syncing the names when I made new contacts. I don't know if it is a problem with the Facebook app, Handcent app (if that is what you use), or what. I tried re-installing both Handcent and the Facebook app, re-installing the Facebook app last. (delete both apps, then install Handcent, then Facebook). This solved the problem of the photos not appearing in the contact list and in Handcent.
As for the merging of the two contacts, I am lost. Perhaps get one of them to change their name.