Extreme battery issues.....

karlsdroids

Reaction score
I've done my share of browsing, but surely will still be labeled a noob- so be it. Anyhow, I have a fairly clean droid 4, rooted, and no syncs set up at all. I have maybe 10 apps installed (pandora, tunein, etc, etc,- you get the point) and yet my battery dies quickly.

A quick check on the battery stats reveals that my screen is chewing up 77% of the battery with it being on for 2 hours, browser accounts for 15% of drain while in the foreground for an hour and some change- total time on battery- just under 5 hours.

What the hell is wrong with my battery? It''s a "certified" replacement device so it's not old/ bad software, I wiped the cache after going to the JB software (shipped with ICS a month after JB was released to us), and I've tried draining the battery and then allowing it to charge to 100%.

On to answer the inevitable questions..
-no wifi
-no gps
-no syncs
-no 'full brightness' (it is set on auto which factors out to be less than the lowest setting most of the time)
-no antivirus running in the background
-no live wallpaper
-no task killers
-yes, I browse the forums- no videos though.
-yes, I use the Motorola charger that came with the phone
-yes, I have all of the ridiculous warranties should I need to send it back.

Suggestions? I appreciate it.....

OP
K

karlsdroids

Reaction score
Also- solid 4 bars of 4g, so it isn't bouncing in and out of 4g. The above described usage doesn't include any phone call time or texts sent/ received. I'll grab a screenshot tomorrow.

OP
K

karlsdroids

Reaction score
176 views and zero answers.....is this thing on or have I truely confounded the android masters?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Let me be view # 177..so when you tap on the screen time.. How many hours does it show it being used? Download Cpu Spy & GSam Battery Monitor from the playstore... Cpu spy we need to find out if your phone is going into deep sleep.. Charge phone to full.. Reboot.. Let it sit without touching for an hour.. Then let's see the stats on both these apps..

Noted 2x- beta testing

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It always sucks to hear.. but try a factory data reset ...but don't have your phone restore anything ..other than that..I'm at a loss.

+1 on gsam....it should tell you what's wrong .

Last edited:
OP
K

karlsdroids

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers guys- I've done the cpuspy and the phone does go to deep sleep (though not currently installed). I'll go grab the gsam app now. Full charge and gsam happening now, I will report back tomorrow.

As far as 'on' time in the screen time section, usually it is half of the total time on battery, so with the 4 hr, 7 min above- it was 'on' about 2 hours of that.

Factory data reset.....yes, that is where this is headed and thank you for the recommendation to not have any apps restored as I see they could be the issue without me realizing it.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree with all of the previous suggestions, but I think eventually you're going to find that that factory reset is going to be the ultimate solution.

OP
K

karlsdroids

Reaction score
I've got gsam installed and I've not been on the phone long (browsing forums) and gsam estimates I've got a little over 3 hours left. Sounds like the FDR may be closer in my future than I had hoped because 4 hours on the phone is ridiculous.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OP
K

karlsdroids

Reaction score
I did the FDR last night and today was busy, I'll update if the FDR did any good for this issue. It seems to have solved other little quirks.

OP
K

karlsdroids

Reaction score
Seems as though the FDR gave me a minimal increase in battery life. At this point I'll live with it until I find a new phone I like.