Extended Battery Calibration Issues

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I received my extended battery from verizon wireless. I'm having the same issue as the OP. When using the phone the battery drains and then when I turn it off and back on again the battery shows more life than what it did before I turned it off... I am not rooted yet So I have not calibrated it. My concern is that I got a battery with problems.

I have gone through a full cycle of full juice and fully drained. Suggestions? Should I got to the store and see what they have to say?

You do not need to be rooted to calibrate your phone/battery. Just drain it all the way until it shuts off and then charge it all the way non-stop. Note that this is different from full juice then full drain.

sweenbeen

Reaction score
You do not need to be rooted to calibrate your phone/battery. Just drain it all the way until it shuts off and then charge it all the way non-stop. Note that this is different from full juice then full drain.

I have done this twice now and it does not seem like it has been effective ...

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
D

droid100

Reaction score
I have done this twice now and it does not seem like it has been effective ...

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Same here... I've had it for weeks and tried the drain thing several times but it doesn't do anything... so I'm going to try rooting/unrooting my phone since that seems to be the only reliable way to get a new battery to calibrate correctly on this version of android...

I even called motorola and verizon but they didn't have any real idea about what was going on and blew me off in the end. Their suggestion was to find an app on the marketplace that correctly read the statistics from the extended battery. They claim that the representation of the battery charge will only work correctly with the oem battery.

So I just want to ask if it's "safe" to root/calibrate/unroot... has anyone done this? I really really did not want to mess with my phone in this way and I'm fearful of it turning into a headache after making this change but there's no way to get this battery to work otherwise. I ran a rooted Droid1 and bugless beast for close to two years and I would not root if I had a chance to do that over...

I haven't personally tested this yet but for anyone who is having the same issue and deciding to root:

The link to the one-click root/unroot tool: http://www.psouza4.com/Droid3/. The battery calibration app is "Battery Calibration" by NEMA in the marketplace.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
It sounds like we're talking about 2 different problems now.

OP, you have a non-OEM battery? It makes sense that the phone might not be able to grok that battery.

sweenbeen, you have an OEM battery? It sounds like the problem is that you reboot and it all of a sudden has extra charge. This is normal behavior with a non-OEM battery. It happens a bit with an OEM battery too. How much extra charge are we talking about? It shuts down itself. You boot it up and it has extra charge. If you keep the screen on and use the phone, how long can you use it until it shuts down again? If it's only, say, 30 minutes or less then you are experiencing normal behavior. If I were you, I would charge the battery after the phone shuts down. You shouldn't run Lithium-ion batteries down too far. It is best to charge them before they get too low.

OP
D

droid100

Reaction score
It sounds like we're talking about 2 different problems now.

OP, you have a non-OEM battery? It makes sense that the phone might not be able to grok that battery.

sweenbeen, you have an OEM battery? It sounds like the problem is that you reboot and it all of a sudden has extra charge. This is normal behavior with a non-OEM battery. It happens a bit with an OEM battery too. How much extra charge are we talking about? It shuts down itself. You boot it up and it has extra charge. If you keep the screen on and use the phone, how long can you use it until it shuts down again? If it's only, say, 30 minutes or less then you are experiencing normal behavior. If I were you, I would charge the battery after the phone shuts down. You shouldn't run Lithium-ion batteries down too far. It is best to charge them before they get too low.

I have a BF6X OEM Extended Life battery. I used the term non-OEM to refer to the new extended life battery but it is a Motorola BF6X 1880mAh...

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I have a BF6X OEM Extended Life battery. I used the term non-OEM to refer to the new extended life battery but it is a Motorola BF6X 1880mAh...

Ah, I see. It sounds like you got a bad battery though. sweenbeen seems to be describing something different from the problem you had.

OP
D

droid100

Reaction score
The battery lasts 13+ hours with heavy usage... its working fine... the OS doesn't recognize the correct charge...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

agent83

Reaction score
My D3 with Extended Battery is incredible now. Last week I had Friday-Sat-Sun off work, and left it unplugged the whole weekend. I had very low usage, but I did talk on the phone for a few minutes, did some texting. At 2 days 20 hours in to being unplugged, it was only at 30% remaining. I couldn't BELIEVE it. So when your extended battery is working right, expect great performance.