Exporting pics from Bionic to PC

divinity83

Reaction score
Forgive me, I'm not sure if this is a Bionic problem or a Windows 7 problem. I went to a concert and recorded some video and took pics. When I got home, I transferred the files to my laptop. When I try to open the files on my PC, I get an error message saying the photos/video cannot be viewed because they are unsupported or corrupted. I can view the pics and video fine on my Bionic, though. What gives? Pics are .jpg and video is .mp4, right? My computer supports these extensions so I'm baffled. Thanks.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the properties of the pictures on your PC?

I have Windows 7 and there's no problem with either pictures or videos.

OP
D

divinity83

Reaction score
Have you looked at the properties of the pictures on your PC?

I have Windows 7 and there's no problem with either pictures or videos.

Really? I can't get the pics or video to display in any program I try (Live Gallery, Paint, IrfanView, Quicktime, Media Player, etc.). Here is an example of the error I get in Windows Live Gallery and the properties for one of the pictures. All the pictures show the same size (16 KB). The videos vary in sizes.

2h4ketk.jpg

Thanks for replying.

OP
D

divinity83

Reaction score
I figured out a work around using Verizon's Backup Assistant+. I had to agree to pay $2.99/month to use it, but I figured it was worth a shot and I can always unsubscribe later. Anyway, it worked. I uploaded all the pics and videos from my phone to the cloud, then downloaded them from the cloud to my computer. I don't know why the USB transfer didn't work, but whatever. Mission accomplished.

brotherthew

Reaction score
RE: bionin pics & vids

here are a couple ideas that might help you out:
1)If your computer has an SD slot, have you tried removing the memory card from your phone & seeing if your computer recognizes it? I've had a problem with other Android devices in the past not cooperating with my Windows laptops, and this was generally a good starting point to troubleshoot.
2)Does your PC have a bluetooth connection? It takes forever and a week to transfer anything, but it may work for you to fully transfer the files properly.
3)If this doesn't seem to work, do you have any aftermarket programs such as Winamp, iTunes, Zune, GOM, etc that you could try opening the files in? I've had problems with the stock Windows software, in general, agreeing with the formats that Android uses. Things like WMP, paint, etc are hit or miss sometimes. For videos, I've had much better luck getting my computers to read them when using other programs like VLC, Gom, etc.
The last thing I'd check is the data cable you are using. If it wasn't completely plugged in, or has a bad lead, you may end up with faulty file transfers.

If you're still having problems and you've tried all these, I'd take the phone back to the store, and have them trouble shoot it. I've never had it happen, but I've had friends who took pics and their phone said it saved them, but all their files were corrupted and lost. Good luck.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
You might want to try Dropbox, which is free.

Are your drivers up to date?

RETUSAFNCO

Reaction score
divinity83 said:
Forgive me, I'm not sure if this is a Bionic problem or a Windows 7 problem. I went to a concert and recorded some video and took pics. When I got home, I transferred the files to my laptop. When I try to open the files on my PC, I get an error message saying the photos/video cannot be viewed because they are unsupported or corrupted. I can view the pics and video fine on my Bionic, though. What gives? Pics are .jpg and video is .mp4, right? My computer supports these extensions so I'm baffled. Thanks.

Try zumocast.

RETUSAFNCO

Reaction score
Zumocast is part of the apps that came with your phone. It enables your phone to transfer files, pictures, and music to your PC.

jkensing

Reaction score
I use dropbox. You can set it to upload your pics and videos automatically to dropbox over 4g or wi-fi. You can install dropbox on your pc and it will automatically download your videos and pics. It works great and it's peace of mind if you smash your phone you won't loose anything. This works perfectly for me.

RETUSAFNCO

Reaction score
jkensing said:
I use dropbox. You can set it to upload your pics and videos automatically to dropbox over 4g or wi-fi. You can install dropbox on your pc and it will automatically download your videos and pics. It works great and it's peace of mind if you smash your phone you won't loose anything. This works perfectly for me.

Yeah, same process for zumocast, I use it because it came with the phone.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
One of the differences between Dropbox and Zumocast is that with Zumocast you have to have your pc on. With Dropbox you can move the stuff any time and download it later.

RETUSAFNCO

Reaction score
aaf709 said:
One of the differences between Dropbox and Zumocast is that with Zumocast you have to have your pc on. With Dropbox you can move the stuff any time and download it later.

Okay...it really doesn't matter to me.

OP
D

divinity83

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I have a dropbox account, but I didn't even think to use it! I've used it to move files from my PC to my phone, but never the other way around. I didn't know what Zumocast was (or that it was already on my phone) so that helps, too. I guess I can cancel that Backup Assistant+ even earlier than I thought. :)