ESN question???

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Would I be able to use a phone with a bad ESN as a dummy phone for modding? I know ones that are good will ask it be activated at the first power on, but will one with a bad ESN ask that or just go straight to HOME?? I travel alot and I really don't need my phone down while I try to fix things that I screw up while having a little fun modding and playing around.... Thanks for any info you can give!

hobby31

Reaction score
You can try the workaround. Touch the 4 corners of the screen when the activation screen comes up. Start at top left, then top right, bottom right, then bottom left and it should go to the home screen. That's how they do it in the verizon stores and I've done it myself after flashing a few roms. You can google it and it should come up in either a utube video and a written walk through.

lchavez289

Reaction score
Would I be able to use a phone with a bad ESN as a dummy phone for modding? I know ones that are good will ask it be activated at the first power on, but will one with a bad ESN ask that or just go straight to HOME?? I travel alot and I really don't need my phone down while I try to fix things that I screw up while having a little fun modding and playing around.... Thanks for any info you can give!
Saying BAD ESN.. What exactly are you asking?
It's true that you can access the home screen by doing the 4 corners tap. BUT thats really all you can do. You can make or recieve calls, texts, data... Anything like that..

br0adband

Reaction score
New member, interested in a "deal" on a Droid that the current owner says "has a bad ESN" but isn't proving much more info

To be honest, I don't have any intentions of using the Droid as a phone anytime soon; I'm under another contract that I wish to use till it expires but, I've had a chance to use a Droid recently and I'd like to get one just because it's a pretty cool device for audio/video uses, as well it being Android powered which is the big draw.

Basically my intention is to use the Droid as everything except an actual phone, so, before I spend hours and hours and days doing massive amounts of research, my basic question is this:

Is it still possible to use a Droid in spite of it having that "bad ESN" error/warning? I haven't actually gotten my hands on the Droid this person is selling but, the price (around $100, maybe less) is too good to pass up.

Once I actually get the Droid I was planning to learn as much as I possibly can with this forum and others focused on Droid "stuff" as my basis for learning. But having an actual Droid would sure make things easier. :)

So, if I can still use this Droid even in spite of the "bad ESN" thing, that would make it a good buy considering I don't intend to use it as a phone anytime soon, maybe never to be honest. As long as it can function as an Android-powered mobile device (the Wi-Fi works, apps, app store, etc etc) then I'm game.

My understanding is that the "bad ESN" thing is directly/specifically related to the cellular circuit which is exactly what I will have no use for, at least not anytime soon if ever. If I can use it (sorta like having an unlocked iPhone with no SIM card in it, everything works but there's just no cellular service or capability). I know Verizon doesn't use SIM cards so... that's the best way I can describe it.

First post so, be gentle. :)

Any comments or suggestions or flat-out answers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Last edited:
OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's what I want it for also... to play around with. I already have a droid but I am away from home a lot with a wife and two kids so I don't need to have a screwed up phone. I like the modding and themeing but I would like a safer option....

laptopfreek0

Reaction score
The answer is Yes! i haver personally tried it. With a bad esn you can either
A) touch the four corners of the screen, or
B) if you have issues toching the four corners then you can do the activation and hang up 3 times, then it will let you go on.
Once you are at the home screen it is basically like a PDA, you can turn off mobile network to save battery, but wifi works fine, so does downloading apps, and facebook, mail (except yahoo, requires you to be on 3G), and music, and camera... and whatever else you can do on your paticular phone.

Also if you are new to the android you can download the apps over wifi without any issues. The cell carrier does not dictate the apps, and it does not get billed to you like other phones. Put in a CC if you want paid apps, otherwise there are a ton of free ones.