Eris used as modem

newgenesis

Reaction score
I currently have a Droid Eris and use it tethered to my desktop computer as a modem. Due to distance to the nearest tower I keep it in a Wilson Sleek cell phone booster cradle. I usually get in the neighborhood of 1-3 bars 3g which gives me roughly 300ish ping while playing Everquest 2. Since I believe I have done all that I can in that neighborhood would a droid with a 1ghz or dual core processor reduce the lag in game I am seeing further? Or would I simply be throwing $$ away for the upgrade?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Droid Eris and use it tethered to my desktop computer as a modem. Due to distance to the nearest tower I keep it in a Wilson Sleek cell phone booster cradle. I usually get in the neighborhood of 1-3 bars 3g which gives me roughly 300ish ping while playing Everquest 2. Since I believe I have done all that I can in that neighborhood would a droid with a 1ghz or dual core processor reduce the lag in game I am seeing further? Or would I simply be throwing $$ away for the upgrade?

I think your best bet would be 4G, like Thunderbolt. I don't think the handset is the problem with bandwidth, but 3G has a limit on connection speed.

OP
N

newgenesis

Reaction score
Being in a very rural area on the eastern shore of VA according to the coverage map it appears I am lucky to get 3G let alone 4G. Really a non starter at this point honestly due to Verizon saying I am eligible for an upgrade but, authorized dealers will not touch me until September, no way I am touching a Droid X for $150 if I wait I could probably get one for $10 ... or other deals come September.
Thanks for answering though.