Eris Battery

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
If some of your guys want longer than average battery life then why did you buy a slim, compact phone with powerful features like the Eris??? This isnt Burger King, or La La Land, you can have it your way. You either going to have a compact slim powerful phone with average battery life or a fat bulky phone with equal features and long battery life.

How some of you cant understnad this is actually pretty funny and it all boils down to lack of education...and I STILL have to laugh at some of you who thought you were going to get 3 days of heavy usage with these kind of features out of a 1300mah battery....too funny...

Ok, we get it.:hail: You are "educated" in the ways of batteries (must be pretty important to you, since you brought it up in 2 different posts now). You are an all knowing being when it comes to electricity, electronics and how they use batteries. How nice for you. None of that means that you should be condescending or rude towards anyone that isn't.

People come to forums for a 2 main reasons. The first is to gain information and knowledge about a subject. The second is to share their knowledge and information about a subject. If you are the one seeking knowledge, it is not helpful at all when the one providing it is more or less calling you a dumbass for not knowing it already. How would you feel coming to a forum to learn about quantum mechanics or to learn another language and were treated like an idiot for not already knowing it? Should you be insulted for only knowing one or two languages when maybe I can speak 8?

Why do you care if some people expected the battery life to be a little longer than it is? Why would it matter to you in any way, shape or form if some people are trying to figure out a way to get the most out of their battery? What difference does it make if some people are looking for a key feature that may or may not be draining their battery more?

G

Grimster

Why do you care if some people expected the battery life to be a little longer than it is? Why would it matter to you in any way, shape or form if some people are trying to figure out a way to get the most out of their battery? What difference does it make if some people are looking for a key feature that may or may not be draining their battery more?
Sorry. I excuse people new to smartphones but people coming from a different model smart phone should known...

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
Sorry. I excuse people new to smartphones but people coming from a different model smart phone should known...

Why? Every device is different and every user is different. I have a Curve right now that doesn't have wifi or GPS (both being huge battery suckers). My curve will get me through most days on one charge and believe me when I say that I am a heavy user. If that was my first smart phone then I would probably expect the next phone to do the same, wouldn't I? Since the Eris (if I get it) will be my fourth smart phone, I am used to charging the phone several times a day on some phones. Others may not be used to it at all.

As I was saying before, it doesn't matter what people know or don't know about the use of batteries in a smart phone. The fact is that people are coming to this forum for knowledge and/or help. If members treat them like dirt then they are not as likely to come back. Just remember the golden rule and everyone can be happy.:icon_ banana:

droideris

Reaction score
Mine seems to get better with more charges. Hopefully this will continue. Turning off the always on helps.

bobl

Reaction score
What is the always on feature everyone talks about?
I have shut off notifications but is there something else?

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
Just found this and thought it might help a few people.

if you have horrendous battery life it may be because your native sms app is preventing your phone from sleeping.

to check go to settings>about phone>status and at the bottom wake time. if it is 100% you more then likely have this bug

to fix it go into your messages app, menu>setting> and turn off notifications.

go to the android market and download handcent sms or chomp sms, and install. then pick a contact and press send sms, pick your new sms app as default, and send any message. then do a reboot.

once that is all done, power on your phone, let is sleep for a minute after reboot and go back to settings>about phone>status and at the bottom wake time. if it is around 50% or so the fix has worked and you should be able to charge faster and hold a charge longer.

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
Also

For battery info, dial (*#*#4636#*#*) and press Call. This will bring up a sort of field test mode. Select Battery Information. This will tell you a lot about your battery.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope, Up Time is just how long it has been since it booted, not how long its been awake :(

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
We could have the same issue but just not be able to see that setting. Also, I just realized I am in an Eris thread, NOT a Droid thread so the Eris may have that option, please ignore me. LOL

OP
G

goathog02

Reaction score
Nope, Up Time is just how long it has been since it booted, not how long its been awake :(

Not sure then. I just found the info and thought it might help. I guess not so much, huh?
You are on the right track. There is a lot of good info over on the Sprint Hero msg boards about this. (Sprint Hero Forum) A lot of good tips on how to make the battery last longer until they come out w/a few fixes.

lperdue

Reaction score
HTC/Verizon has a potential legal/regulatory issue here.

This page (which I checked before buying):

HTC Mobile Phones - DROID ERIS (Verizon) - Tech Specs

tells us to expect talk time: 214 min, Standby: 373 hrs.

I'm a relatively light user, so I expected something closer to those numbers than farther away.

At the very least, I expected the Eris battery to last somewhat as long as my Blackberry Storm (1400 mA battery) or the BB Curve before that.

Both of those BBs would standby for darn close to a week and on heavy usage days gave me, on average, 2.5 hrs of talk. That was with all of the phone use connected with my Bluetooth headset ...

Then, two days ago, my Eris arrives. 1300 mA battery ... with NO Bluetooth and less than 20 mins of talk, the battery indicator hits yellow warning in about 10 hrs.

I LOVE the way the Eric works ... which makes it all the more frustrating when all those great features and capabilities are crippled by the lack of battery life.

The fact that SO MANY Eris users are experiencing a battery life that is at odds with HTC's claims makes this a consumer protection issue worthy of either legal or governmental action.

Either HTC needs to fix this IMMEDIATELY or they must be called to account for the vast discrepancy between their claims and the reality.

ryanc2

Reaction score
... with NO Bluetooth and less than 20 mins of talk, the battery indicator hits yellow warning in about 10 hrs.

Either HTC needs to fix this IMMEDIATELY or they must be called to account for the vast discrepancy between their claims and the reality.

Same experience - maybe worse. Keep in mind the standby and talk time hours are for the most part based on no push email or other activities going on. No bluetooth, wifi, GPS, etc. Phone sitting there doing absoultely nothing. However, I don't think this phone would still come close to the published battery expectancy.

How much can be addressed by firmware update?