Engadget smartphone of the year: Vote for the Droid!!!

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Gadget of the year
Smartphone of the year
GPS device of the year

The winners of the 2009 Engadget Awards! -- Engadget

:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

That saved me some trouble

As someone else said

"We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end -
We are the champions -
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions - of the world -
"

deputc26

Reaction score
WOOT! Actually I'm surprised that Engadget gave the Droid Gadget of the year, I'll take it and I surrrrre do see a lot of Droid on that winners page!

(cue, "We Are the Champions"):icon_ banana:

smokiedabong

Reaction score
They failed at logic :rofl3: . Isn't" gadget of the year" including everything ? From TVs and fruit juicers to laptops and smartphones , including the iPhone . Both iPhone and Droid have similar functions and they are smartphones but they picked the Droid over the iPhone in this category . In the next section where they had to chose betwen iPhone and Droid again , they picked the iPhone . :laugh:

krazykarl

Reaction score
WOOT! Actually I'm surprised that Engadget gave the Droid Gadget of the year, I'll take it and I surrrrre do see a lot of Droid on that winners page!

(cue, "We Are the Champions"):icon_ banana:
I don't understand how it could win gadget of the year over the iphone, but they didn't also choose it for smartphone of the year. So somehow its a better gadget, but a worse smartphone?

deputc26

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that on the winners picture, the iPhone is in front of the Droid. Stupid engadget fanboys

Ya That annoyed me. Actually though I was surprised at how many Editor's choice picks I agreed with, GF1 for camera and Palm Touchstone for peripheral were the only other products I cared enough to endorse.

And yes being awarded gadget but not smartphone of the year made no sense in the editors choice category.

Edit: And by the way this thread was officially a success, no way we would have beat iPhone without it imo.

Last edited:

Mercuie

Reaction score
I dunno. The Droid seems more gadget like than the iphone to me. Our phone can do so much more, even before rooting, and once you add custom roms and installs of other things (live backgrounds, Fios remote, metal detector), it seems more gadget like.

Now if they had a Category for "In between Smartphone and Feature Phone" im sure Droid would have taken Smartphone and iPhone would have gotten the In between. Our phone is a lot smarter.

justbob

Reaction score
Edit: And by the way this thread was officially a success, no way we would have beat iPhone without it imo.

Actually, I disagree. Based on features alone, Droid wins, and that IMHO, is what the poll was about, otherwise it just becomes a contest to see who has bigger fanboys. Droid's wins in those three categories are rightly deserved.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that on the winners picture, the iPhone is in front of the Droid. Stupid engadget fanboys

Yeah...dem @$$holes :icon_evil:

Whateveeeerr we won!!! VICTORY lol!
:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This was my speech that brought us to victory......

[video=youtube;TeNGVS2T_Rk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeNGVS2T_Rk]YouTube - Spartans! Tonight, We Dine in Hell![/video]

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Oh, sure I remember when you said it, I just didn't remember that you looked like that....

:icon_ devil:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
The IPhone should have won Gadget and the Droid should have won SmartPhone... The IPhone is a dumb phone...

smokiedabong

Reaction score
goty.jpg

Already called my friends with Droids to go and celebrate the Victory