Engadget reviews the Motorola Droid X

Mule65

Reaction score
Exactly the point I was getting at by mentioning both the iPhone and the EVO.

Yea, I know a couple phones have it, but what is it used for? Or what will it be used for next year? Video conferencing and looking at yourself?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its about competition. Ppl will probably switch to Sprint for the EVO 4G just for trying to use 4G, ppl will switch carriers just to use a phone with a front facing camera. The iPhone already showed ppl will switch carriers just for the phone alone.

I can see ppl saying "aww man. It doesnt have a front facing camera, Imma get the other phone that does." Lost sale just for it not having a feature that at least 2 other phones will have.

I want Motorola to outdo everybody else. I want them to strive to be number 1.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Even if they cant use a front facing camera, they will get it just to say their phone has one.

rwdfan

Reaction score
My Droid has a front facing camera. It also has a rear facing display...

:)

Seriously, do phones with front facing cameras also have one rear facing? If not, good luck lining up that snapshot!

zfly9

Reaction score
My Droid has a front facing camera. It also has a rear facing display...

:)

Seriously, do phones with front facing cameras also have one rear facing? If not, good luck lining up that snapshot!

First of all, that was hilarious, good one.

Secondly, yes. They have both, the front facing being a low quality camera for video chat, 1.3mp usually.

dwagner88

Reaction score
The problem that everyone keeps forgetting about the Front Facing cameras on the iPhone...

It only works if you have Wi-Fi access. A lot of people are going to be disappointed.

Apple - iPhone 4 - One-tap video calling with FaceTime on iPhone 4
iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 over Wi-Fi.

As if anyone could ever get a decent enough AT&T connection to do it on their network. I think it would just sit down and give up, like their pre-order servers did yesterday.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I really can't believe people are that concerned with a front facing camera. I don't ever recall the lack of one (on current phones) being an issue or even being mentioned up until a few weeks ago. I guess everyone has priorities.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
I really can't believe people are that concerned with a front facing camera. I don't ever recall the lack of one (on current phones) being an issue or even being mentioned up until a few weeks ago. I guess everyone has priorities.

+1 This baffles me as well. I don't recall everyone writing off the N1, X10 or Incredible for lack of a front-facing camera prior to EVO and iPhone 4.

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
Yeah, until LTE launches, there really is no need for that front facing camera as the bandwidth is severely lacking to make it a viable option. QOS issues makes it useless at this point.

phatkat66

Reaction score
The problem that everyone keeps forgetting about the Front Facing cameras on the iPhone...

It only works if you have Wi-Fi access. A lot of people are going to be disappointed.

Apple - iPhone 4 - One-tap video calling with FaceTime on iPhone 4
iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 over Wi-Fi.

+1 This is exactly my arguments with my friends that are bowing down to the iphone4.... im like ..... your gonna NEED a wifi connection.... which more than likely you'll be by a computer .....and alot of comps now a days have webcams.... more than 1.3 mp.... Give me a break.... and its only from iphone to iphone.... you really gonna brag that you can video chat sitting still? I been able to do that for 10 yrs now with my web cam....

I LIKE the idea its cool sure but its not cool enough to be boastin it and makin it some kind of "high standard bar" that needs to be on every phone now. >_>

p.s. ..... im going to attack people with my Droid X ..... lol jus slap them with it and show off how sturdy it is ^_^

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Someone at another forum pointed out there is an FM radio app in the screenshots of the X.....

FM radio would hold me over til Froyo came out, if I keep the X.