Emails don't go to phone after Outlook downloads them

jtrading

Reaction score
Using the Gmail Apps on my Droid 2
Using Outlook to sync with emails on Gmail

When using Gmail app, I get emails fine. However, if I go to Outlook and download the emails, the emails no longer show up in my Inbox on the Gmail app (phone). How do I keep the emails on my phone's inbox if I do not delete them in Outlook? Also, if I delete emails from my phone inbox, for some reason Outlook redownloads the same deleted emails, how do I avoid this?

- tried checking "leave copy on server" on outlook, did not solve the problem
- tried checking "sync all" for my inbox on my droid 2 gmail app settings

Barristro

Reaction score
What happens to the gmails if you use a regular computer to access the account? Are they still in the inbox, or do they get archived? Check other "Labels" in your gmail app to see if they are somehow getting moved to another folder.

OP
J

jtrading

Reaction score
What currently happens:
1. If I use Outlook 1st, email does not appear on phone, and does not appear in gmail inbox (but it is in gmail archive)
2. If I use Phone 1st, emails appear on phone and gmail inbox. If I delete emails using phone, they do not show up in gmail inbox (which is what I want) Problem is if I then use Outlook, all the new emails are redownloaded (even the emails I already deleted using my phone), and it removes emails from phone inbox (I do NOT want this to happen) and gmail inbox (I DO want this to happen).

I want my phone and Outlook to only have emails that are on the gmail inbox.

Shouldn't Outlook only download the emails that are on the gmail inbox (and also on the phone inbox)? Is there a setting I need to change?

Thanks!!

Barristro

Reaction score
... it removes emails from phone inbox (I do NOT want this to happen) and gmail inbox (I DO want this to happen).

From what I have observed, the App only shows what is in the gmail inbox. If it's in gmail's inbox, it has to be in the phone inbox. You can still access emails that are not in gmail's inbox by selecting a different folder through the App.

As for leaving things in gmail's inbox or archiving them; I usually leave things in the inbox, so I cannot help you with how to manage that.

stonecaster

Reaction score
Try this, log into your gmail account via computer, then go to settings and click on the Forwarding and Pop/Imap tab. Under the "Pop Download" section number 2 there is a setting that tells gmail what to do with emails after they have been checked or "popped" make sure that it is set to "Keep emails in your inbox"
Good Luck

OP
J

jtrading

Reaction score
From what I have observed, the App only shows what is in the gmail inbox. If it's in gmail's inbox, it has to be in the phone inbox.

Gotcha. Then what I want to do is have Outlook only show what is in gmail inbox (and hence phone inbox). Anyone have ideas on how to configure this?