Email scam appearing as a Calendar Notification

mikejduk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 that has been behaving strangely in the past few days.

To begin with it was shutting down completely without any warning. I could be browsing through my apps and it would suddenly shut down. This happened several times during the day and ONLY by holding the volume down and power button at the same time for about 7 seconds would it start up again.

Each time it started up I would get a quick glimpse of a message stating 'Unable to download media message. Please try again'. I am unaware of any media message I have tried to download recently.

The intermittent shutting down appears to have stopped for now, however, yesterday I received three consecutive messages, all stating the same thing, as a CALENDAR NOTIFICATION! I recognised the message as a scam from one pretending to be this 'Chuck Feeney' and you have covered in another topic: Beware of "The Charles F. Feeney and Atlantic Philanthropies Foundation" Email Scams

What I can't understand is, how am I receiving this message as a CALENDAR NOTIFICATION? Not as a message or email but as an appointment alert!

There is a strong possibility that these recent events coincide with a very recent update to my Android's software. Is there a likelihood that my phone has been compromised?

I know I can do a factory reset but when I see all the information I have on my phone, including all the apps And passwords I use, I'm extremely reticent to have to reinstall everything. HELP! :(

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Welcome to the forum mikejduk! I have no idea how those could appear as a Calendar notification; I have never heard of that before. We have a lot of knowledgeable & helpful members here, so maybe someone has some good advice. Personally, if it was my phone doing that (or any of the other 3 phones in my home) I would have done a factory reset (FDR) already. I know it's a pain and takes time to set things up again, but that's easier than recovering from stolen personal data. Just my 2 cents worth, but I would bite the bullet and FDR and consider it a "Spring Cleaning" for my phone. After backing up all important pics, files, documents , music, etc. in the Cloud, on a SD card or on my laptop; since a FDR does erase all personal information & files from the phone.

OP
M

mikejduk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
Thank you for your welcome, Sajo. Well, I have taken your advice with a great deal of trepidation. I use my phone like a filing cabinet with so much info on it, including my calendar and appointments. If this doesn't work I will have to send it off for a flash clean at the factory, according to the EE assistant in the shop yesterday. When I asked him about the Scam he didn't know what I was talking about. Oh well, here goes. I'll let you know how I get on.