Can't shut off Email notifications!

Shelley007

Reaction score
I set up a non-Gmail account in the Email setting, and it's driving me crazy. 1st off, the emails show up as "read" when I log in on the computer, even if I have not read it on the Droid. Not all messages are showing up in both places.

I want to shut off the notifications...have gone in to the Email, then Account settings. Shut off notifications, and for good measure, changed it to "never" check for email updates. Then I exit out, and within a few minutes, I receive another email notification. I go back and check my settings again, and it's back to having the notifications "on", and checking for email updates every 15 minutes. Somehow it's not saving when I make changes.

Am I missing something?

Reaction score
Today I was trying to shut off email notification because I'll get 8 or 9 false email notifications all at once and, well, it's kind of annoying. Anyway, I tried to shut off notification by going into a specific email account, then pressing settings and unchecking "Email Notifications," but this doesn't seem to work. I still get notifications and when I got back to settings I can see that it is enabled.

I wonder if it is possible to shut off email notifications.

Silver Member
Reaction score
You have to change it to "No subscriptions" under the User CP.
OP is not referring to the forum emails.

Shelley007, the default email client only downloads x amount of emails per session. each time you delete messages, older messages appear in your inbox. because these messages are new to the email client, they show as new messages.

unfortunately, this is the default behavior of the default email client.

the best way around this issue is to either use a third party app, like k9 mail, or to follow the directions in my sig to have GMAIL check your mail for you.

Reaction score
You have to change it to "No subscriptions" under the User CP.
OP is not referring to the forum emails.

Shelley007, the default email client only downloads x amount of emails per session. each time you delete messages, older messages appear in your inbox. because these messages are new to the email client, they show as new messages.

unfortunately, this is the default behavior of the default email client.

the best way around this issue is to either use a third party app, like k9 mail, or to follow the directions in my sig to have GMAIL check your mail for you.

I haven't deleted any messages and I still get multiple false email notifications. At first I thought I could simply silence email notifcation, but that doesn't seem possible. I'm getting tired of hearing beeping sounds repeatedly at 3AM.

I wonder if the Blackberry would have been more my thing, more professional. The Droid is neat gadget, but seems more suited for 17 year olds.

Silver Member
Reaction score
that's an unfair statement. i'll be 34 this year and the DROID is the best smartphone i've used to date.

the default email is constantly downloading old messages from your server. this is what your problem is. use a different app or use gmail to check your mail.

YosM45

Reaction score
Mine's been doing this since day one with my Hotmail account.

And people on this forum thought I was crazy. Thank you, now I know I'm not the only one.

In addition, every time I try to update my incoming settings, I get a force close.

Just recently, the Outlook client stopped syncing. So it went from 10 false notifications every 15 minutes, no never getting notifications., unless I restart the phone.

I called Motorola's Android support line, and they were morons.

I just don't use the native outlook client anymore, I just log into Hotmail from the browser.

This really stinks. The easiest function any phone can accomplish, the Droid failed.

drdhdmd

Reaction score
False eMail Notifications

I too am getting frequent false email notifications. I use AOL for my mail. I can read all my mail, switch to another AP and the notification says I have new mail.. I check and there is no new mail... Frustrating!:mad:

Spartan

Reaction score
K9 solved all of the false email issues I was having with the standard mail client. Although not perfect, definitely a step in the right direction.

ShowTime

Reaction score
640k, you're right about the default email client behavior but that isn't the reason for the OP's problem. The OP said he changed the setting to not receive email notifications but it did not save and he is still getting notifications even thought he has supposedly turned them off. I use the default client and got tired of the weird and inconsistent notifications so I went in to the settings and turned off notifications. And even though I do still check my email through it and delete messages causing older messages to load as being unread and new to the default inbox, I still have not received one notification since (just like I wanted). My only suggestion would be to possibly try a battery pull for 30 seconds and/or possibly a factory reset. If you try one or both of those and it still won't save your setting to not send email notifications, you're either going to have to seek help from someone more knowledgeable than me or take the phone in to VZW to have a tech check it out.

Last edited: