Electrical outlet/USB chargers

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I want to install a electrical outlet/USB charger combo in my kitchen to clean up the clutter of multiple devices needing to be charged. I have the electrical skills to swap the outlet. But I am reading several reviews that some do not charge the S4. Other reviews do not say one way or the other. Does anyone have experience with an outlet that works with the S4

As an example Cooper Wiring Devices TR7745W-BOX Combination USB Charger with Tamper Resistant Receptacle and Box, 15-Amp, White Finish - Amazon.com

Coulterjosh

Reaction score
i would imagine that since it is just a general usb port that it would work with whatever usb you plugged into it including phones

OP
FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
i would imagine that since it is just a general usb port that it would work with whatever usb you plugged into it including phones

I agree, however, several of the Amazon reviews for this device specifically state that they could not get this to work with their S4. I was looking to see if someone happened to have used this particular outlet/charger that did. I bought 2 S4's as Christmas gifts. I also bought this outlet despite the reviews. Sammy also recently released and update to allow devices to work with more chargers. I guess I will find out come Christmas day.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
As long as you use the OEM usb cable I don't see why it wouldn't work. If not at least with Amazon it's easy returns.

tsimp

Reaction score
As long as you use the OEM usb cable I don't see why it wouldn't work. If not at least with Amazon it's easy returns.

I installed two of these usb/outlet combo receptacles and have loved it. Really easy to install and worked on all of our family devices. I purchased the Galaxy S4 last weekend and was quite irritated to find out that it would not charge from this combo usb outlet with any of the three cables that I found laying around. I have not tried the OEM cable but that still defeats the point of universal connectors. I have heard if you get a cheap combo receptacle it may not have enough amperage so you may want to look at that. Anyway I am hoping that it can be resolved. It does charge from a cable from my laptop with a non-OEM cable but my Galaxy 10.1 tablet does not, but it does charge from the combo outlet though without the OEM cable.

wcjeep

Reaction score
I thought the latest S4 update specifically stated it would allow charging from Non OEM chargers.

OP
FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I bought and installed this outlet, but forgot to update. My S4 will NOT charge from the USB on this outlet. I tried the OEM cable, a Moto cable, and some Monoprice cables. Nothing, I have to plug it in the regular outlet with an adapter. My Bionic, my Pebble, and my iPad do charge on the USB. Another S4 delivers today replacing the Bionic so I am not going to be able to charge everything in the same spot again.

tsimp

Reaction score
Follow up on my post. For whatever reason when I went home to try the OEM cable I first tried another cable that I had tried before and it charged in the usb/outlet combo. Not sure what the issue was before, but happy it worked.

OP
FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Follow up on my post. For whatever reason when I went home to try the OEM cable I first tried another cable that I had tried before and it charged in the usb/outlet combo. Not sure what the issue was before, but happy it worked.

What outlet did you get? Mine will charge everything but the S4, and I have 3 of them now

OP
FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I ordered a plug in outlet with USB connections from Amazon's Woot. If I had done this in the first place I would not have need to change the outlet. It is very well designed. It has 3 outlet connections that can actually have 3 large charging plugs inserted while only using one of the 2 wall outlets, leaving the other wall outlet usable. It has one higher amp USB (2.1 I think and a lower 1.0) so phones and tablets can charge. The Sammys will charge in these USbs. Go figure. Now I have 4 USBs, and 4 outlets in a spot that was only 2 outlets. I am back to having my cordless house phone, cell phones, tablet, and Pebble charging in one organised neat location.

I would post a link but the Woot is gone.

OP
FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
example seems looks good USB charger I think but price is higher then expected.
What do you think about this amazon.com/dp/B00HZF6UGG/ ?

That's a charger. Hundreds of those available. In the OP,I was looking for an electrical outlet with USB chargers

kr155y

Reaction score
I want to install a electrical outlet/USB charger combo in my kitchen to clean up the clutter of multiple devices needing to be charged. I have the electrical skills to swap the outlet. But I am reading several reviews that some do not charge the S4. Other reviews do not say one way or the other. Does anyone have experience with an outlet that works with the S4

As an example Cooper Wiring Devices TR7745W-BOX Combination USB Charger with Tamper Resistant Receptacle and Box, 15-Amp, White Finish - Amazon.com

Hi! I love the combination electrical outlet/USB charger and use it all of the time. My mother has a Samsung Galaxy S4 and we had a problem with the Cooper outlet/USB combination and the Leviton outlet/USB combination not charging her phone.

We found this model on Amazon - Bryant Electric USBB15W Dual 3.0 Amp, 5V, High Power USB Charger, Tamper Resistant, Duplex Receptacle, 15A/125V, NEMA 5-15R, White
It charges the S4, and it is a VERY rapid charger (3.0 amps vs the 2.4 amps the Cooper and Leviton models have). If you read the reviews, people with the S4 love it.

There is also a 4.0 amp combination USB/electrical outlet, but I haven't tried it. I imagine it would give your phone a full charge in less than 20 minutes with that power!
ENERLITES 4A High Speed USB Charger Receptacle 15A Tamper Proof Safety Outlet & 2 Free Wall Plates

Hope this helps!

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Hi! I love the combination electrical outlet/USB charger and use it all of the time. My mother has a Samsung Galaxy S4 and we had a problem with the Cooper outlet/USB combination and the Leviton outlet/USB combination not charging her phone.

We found this model on Amazon - Bryant Electric USBB15W Dual 3.0 Amp, 5V, High Power USB Charger, Tamper Resistant, Duplex Receptacle, 15A/125V, NEMA 5-15R, White
It charges the S4, and it is a VERY rapid charger (3.0 amps vs the 2.4 amps the Cooper and Leviton models have). If you read the reviews, people with the S4 love it.

There is also a 4.0 amp combination USB/electrical outlet, but I haven't tried it. I imagine it would give your phone a full charge in less than 20 minutes with that power!
ENERLITES 4A High Speed USB Charger Receptacle 15A Tamper Proof Safety Outlet & 2 Free Wall Plates

Hope this helps!

nice post,
but your theory of more power = faster charging isnt entirely accurate. phones have a charging circuit that limits the current. so, it will charge faster, yes, but only up to the limit preset in the circuit.
for instance, if your phones limit was 2a (i doubt its any higher, if even that high), it wouldn't matter if you had a 100a charger. the charging circuit limiter wouldn't let it draw more than 2a.

hope that makes sense.