USB multiple port travel chargers; had to pull battery last night

M

Matth3w

I'm not sure if this is the problem - but it could be...sorry for the long post, but could REALLY use your help - and this is the best place to find it! :icon_ banana:

Last night I hooked up my Droid to charge on this charger: Amazon.com: Lenmar ACUSB4 AC Travel Adapter for up to 4 USB Powered Devices (Black): Electronics

I went and checked on it later and it was turned off. This was after about 2 hours. The power button wouldn't work and I had to pull the battery to get it to turn on.

So I was thinking that maybe the charger wasn't good enough. Granted, it's not rated all that high but reviews have people charging an iPod, iPhone, Blackberry, and Kindle all at once with it.

It has the 5V output but a lower MA rating (I think 300ma input is what it says). I have another single port charger that only has 500ma (before people come in and say you NEED 800ma or whatever) and it works fine.

Anyhow, I tried to replicate the problem by plugging it back into the charger (I wanted to see if it was the charger, or something I did, like set it down too hard...as I have the business card under the battery trick for the back case, thought maybe I dislodged it and was covering the leads or something), and after 8.5 hours, no problems. Fully charged, it was on this morning when I woke.

I would REALLY prefer to have a multiple USB charger (even if it costs 50 bucks or more) because I travel a TON and have a bunch of USB devices (6+) that need charged.

ANY help you guys can give would be GREATLY appreciated!

EDIT:

I did just see this, which I didn't see before:

This charger can only provide enough amps to charge my Droid phone. If I plug more than that in, one of the devices does not charge. Needs to provide up to 4 amps if they're selling it as able to charge 4 devices. I might as well have bought a $5 single device wall charger.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I went and checked on it later and it was turned off. This was after about 2 hours. The power button wouldn't work and I had to pull the battery to get it to turn on.
I think this is a coincidental relationship. I say that because my fiancee's Droid did the exact same thing last night and she doesn't have the Lenmar charger. She uses the dock.

It has the 5V output but a lower MA rating (I think 300ma input is what it says).
From Lenmar's site:
Provides standard USB 5V at up to 2A (max)

OP
M

Matth3w

Hmm...thanks for the response. The charger says "300ma input" on it, what does that mean? It does say 2A max (4x1USB) but then what is the 300 talking about?

As for your fiancee, I'm glad (not glad that she had a problem per se) that she experienced the same problem. Does she have the battery door fix with the business card as well or anything else you believe could have led to that problem with the power button not responding?

What do you think about the guy's comment that I quoted from the Amazon reviews? Even if four devices were plugged in, it should still get 500ma, plenty to charge the Droid...no?

OP
M

Matth3w

Can you find the specs for the Lenmar anywhere that say what each device would get max if four devices were plugged in? You would think it would be 500 each, but I don't think it is...I think I might have seen somewhere what the individual specs were but now I can't find it. Of course, I've been looking at so many damn chargers I might be thinking of a different one.

OP
M

Matth3w

As an update, I can tell you that if I plug in my Archos portable video player to the charger...two of the four USB ports won't even charge the Droid. Two of them will and two won't even recognize that it's plugged in.