Easy root problems

Dukes424

Reaction score
Ok, so I easy rooted my phone after installing froyo FRG01B which worked fine and all, but with being unsatisfied with that glitchy garbage and extremely new to the rooted game I was gonna take it slow and just upgrade to the FRG22 build. Well, like a total newb I was going to update it just by placing the frg22 in the root of my phone and update it that way, well somehow I ended up just rewriting the frg01b build on my rooted droid. It still shows me as rooted (I have superuser permissions and easy root shows 'I'm already rooted') But none of the rooted apps I have work. I tried unrooting myself but it doesnt seem to work. It'll show the message real quick that i'm unrooted and to reboot but right after it disappears the message you're already rooted comes back up. And of course, on the reboot I see the same results. I do wish to be rooted again so I can get this frg01b crap off due to home screen freezes and battery life is way down now. Any insight or help??

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I haven't used Easy Root yet, I just use the method of using RSD lite to get SPRecovery on my phone and then apply whatever rom I want.

When you reboot your phone while holding down the X key do you end up in the SPRecovery screen? (screenshot of it in the first post of the 3rd link in my signature)

If you are then you can just flash whatever rom you want. For the latest 2.2 follow the first link in my signature.

OP
D

Dukes424

Reaction score
It does not come up w/ SPRecovery, just the stock. Do you think that I'm even rooted still? I still have my permissions icon even after 'unrooting' but drocap, rom manager ect. doesn't work anymore.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The superuser app can be present without having root powers.

Another test of root is to download the "android Terminal emulator" which once downloaded will be named Terminal Emulator and see if a su typed at the prompt gives you a # symbol. It does seem like you lost root.

Will Rom Manager let you flash Clockwork again? If not root is gone.

You can try the Easy Root tool again (doesn't sound so easy anymore does it?) Or use RSD Lite to flash SPrecovery back onto your phone. That will let you then flash a rooted rom. From there you can go back to using Rom Manager or just flash roms using SPRecovery, your option. Links for rsd lite are in my signature.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've seen many easy root problems.

The link in my sig talks about this and also has the link christim was sending you to.

OP
D

Dukes424

Reaction score

You can try the Easy Root tool again (doesn't sound so easy anymore does it?) Or use RSD Lite to flash SPrecovery back onto your phone. That will let you then flash a rooted rom. From there you can go back to using Rom Manager or just flash roms using SPRecovery, your option. Links for rsd lite are in my signature.

So I downloaded RSD lite and the drivers on my PC, will the SPRecovery work for my situation with 2.2 01b?

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
using RSD Lite to flash SPrecovery is a real simple procedure. As long as you have plenty of charge on your phone, and you don't unplug it when you are not supposed to you will be fine.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

So I downloaded RSD lite and the drivers on my PC, will the SPRecovery work for my situation with 2.2 01b?

There have been reported issues with trying it on 2.2.
Just use RSD to flash the 2.0.1 sbf then reboot, skip the google sign in and then flash the SPR sbf.

OP
D

Dukes424

Reaction score
If i'm reading correctly in other forums it seems that flashing to 2.0.1 deactivates your phone. Is that true? and if so how do you reactivate it?

Last edited:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Many times when you flash various roms you need to resign in with your phone. You boot up, see a large android guy saying "push me" and you start the activation process. It may auto dial and activate the phone and you may also have to sign into gmail. Real painless process we've all gone through multiple times.

huskur

Reaction score
If i'm reading correctly in other forums it seems that flashing to 2.0.1 deactivates your phone. Is that true? and if so how do you reactivate it?

Deactivating means you will have to sign into your google account. No big deal. Sign into your google account and you will be back to normal after the 2.0.1 flash. Then just update to 2.1

I have used easy root on a friends phone over dinner one night just to see how it worked. Quite simple if you understand the root process. I remember easy root having a tool to "unroot" have you tried that?

OP
D

Dukes424

Reaction score
I have used easy root on a friends phone over dinner one night just to see how it worked. Quite simple if you understand the root process. I remember easy root having a tool to "unroot" have you tried that?

Yes, I have. It shows the message that im unrooted and to reboot for a second but then the message you are rooted pops right up before i would even have a chance to reboot. When I do reboot, It still shows rooted in easy root, but it does seem im not rooted - despite superuser still present.

Christim, my phone will not show in RSD. I have remembered to bring up the boot loader and even toggled the option in DeviceID. My battery is fully charged as well. The only thing still off as to why i might be getting this is I'm running vista, but there's no right-click option to run as admin...