Easy Root for Bionic Stock 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
many have rooted it with the VM method or you can forget the VM and do it on a real linux machine, the fact that you have a BSD has nothing to do with the method not working. try another PC.

That's how I did it with jelly bean And just did it again last week when I fxzd back to stock.

mikeexplorer

Reaction score
I have been holding off updating from Gingerbread for quite some time because the phone is rooted and I have to undo the frozen apps and such. However I have noticed that the phone tends to drop calls and even on 4G, its comes in and out and has been getting worse. Finally bit the bullet and updated to Jelly Bean. (first ICS went in, then the update for JB came in) As expected root was lost and I found that LBE Privacy Guard was causing the phone to reboot all the time. One time I was fast enough to open the app to freeze it before it ran then uninstalled it. I did try the VM method at first and thought I had root, root checker basic said I was rooted, but any apps that required root crashed. Superuser was still there, so I removed the apps it had permission for and that is when I discovered it was not rooted.

I ran the VM again, and it worked. I am not sure why it did not work the first time, I probably made a mistake or something but it worked so I want to thank you for posting that :hail: :icon_ banana:

So far the phone seems to run much better with JB, and although I have not yet used it for many calls, it seems to hold the cell signal better. Almost like getting a new phone.

Again, thank you for your guide

Mike

Brons2

Reaction score
This worked awesome for me on the first try. I was able to install Safestrap on my wife's Bionic after rooting and get the latest CM11 nightly installed in Slot 1.

I will say that, I have quite a bit of experience with VirtualBox and other virtualization programs, and use VirtualBox on a daily basis at work, so that probably helped. But still it seemed super easy to me, don't really understand why others have claimed to have so many problems. Especially with the BSOD's. The only thing I can think of is maybe VirtualBox has issues with some off brand network cards/WiFi adapters, who knows. I have a Ralink RT5390R Wifi chipset in my laptop and VirtualBox works fine in both bridged and NAT modes with the VM I used for rooting and also Windows Server 2012, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc.

rokky

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Asus PadFone X
many have rooted it with the VM method or you can forget the VM and do it on a real linux machine, the fact that you have a BSD has nothing to do with the method not working. try another PC.

Ah - what is the "real linux machine" method? That is my preference. Is there a link to such site or discussion?

TIA,
R

billdav

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Bionic
I was careful about the instructions but still had a lot of problems getting the USB to connect. I switched USB ports to make sure I was on a USB2 port. I rebooted my HP laptop. I even downgraded VirtualBox from 4.3.12 to 4.2.12 to match the instructions.

Nothing worked.

Then, digging through the thread, I noticed that someone had said that they had a problem with VirtualBox and Hyper-V. I'm running Win7-Pro and I don't have Hyper-V. However, I did have virtualization turned on in the BIOS to support the Microsoft Win XP Virtual machine that comes with Win7-Pro. I hardly ever use that so I disabled virtualization in the BIOS and then USB connected on the next try. It didn't take long after I plugged in the cable.

I have root. Thanks!

Tom Combs

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid XT875 (verizon)
Hope you are still supporting the Droid Bionic. My problem is this: Network Connection.
Using Tiny Linix on Win7, Under setting in VM - Network checked "Enable Network Adapter"
Attached to NAT - Intel Pro/1000 MT
checked "Cable Connected"
Debugging enabled and phone connected to PC
When starting program screen comes up valid IP address 10.0.2.15 and I fill in all the listed info...Domain name mygroup..shared folder...share. etc.on my phone. However I get "There is a problem with your network connection"....
I have read thru the various threads (tried to figure this out myself) but have never even run a Linix system.
Am I right in assuming the virtual network and my actual network talk to each other? It seems I am missing something on making sure the phone can recognize my router and wireless. I am foggy to say the least on this crucial connection between phone and desktop.
Determined to solve this!