Easy, obvious things I should be able to do with the Droid X, but cannot...

MaineJim

Reaction score
I posted this awhile ago. One item was partially fixed, another I learned from the replies that you cannot do.

Enough is enough. These are simple tasks that every Blackberry, iPhone, and even some Droids do, but not Droid X. Not asking for a kidney, just some common sense. If there is a Verizon iPhone 5 before these things are fixed, I am gone from the Droid world. I have been very disappointed.

If you know how to do any of these things, please let me know.

If you are from Google, please fix!

1) Resend an email or a text that failed to send

This is the worst. I use my phone for business, so sometimes I write fairly lengthy emails. Then it will fail to send, and the only option is to delete the email or text. Blackberry and iPhone have this feature. How hard can it be, and WHY would a programmer assumes that just because the network fails to send my message, that I do not wish to send it anymore? Just makes no sense.

2) Delete entries selectively from my contact history, favorites and recent lists.

The text message page allows me to "select multiple" conversations to selectively delete. I have the same capability with email in-boxes. So why not phone calls? Right now, all you can do is to delete the entire list. We know the programmers can do it, they've done it with text messages and emails. so WHY do they decide you do not want this capability for ALL communications on your phone. Again, just makes no sense.

3) Sort my contacts by LAST name.

I know, I know...can't be done on the Droid X. But is this such an odd request?

Jim

d3vilfish

Reaction score
Answers to number 1 through 3 look in the market. The droid is just like a pc if you do not like the os stock apps use another

running darkslide 4.2

A

abn75

You can delete "selectively", in the call list long press the call, select delete. Contacts select the contact, menu, delete.

Sent from my DX running DS4.2

d3vilfish

Reaction score
Bottom line is you can get third party apps to do everything you asked for and more

running darkslide 4.2

xliderider

Reaction score
Handcent SMS definitely can resend failed text messages. Likewise with K9 email.

I went into my gmail account on the computer and changed my contacts names around so it shows up sorted by last name on my X.

MartyrFarkyr

Reaction score
Resending a failed text has been possible for as long as I have had my droid x(november). Just hold your finger down on the text that failed to send and a drop down menu will pop up. Resend text is in that menu. It definately works...I've done it on many occasions since certain places in my job don't get service.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

jjd228

Reaction score
"Common sense" is knowing that 99% of things have a menu that will pop out when you long press, and TRYING this before you ***** that something doesn't work. Uh... Have you ever tried this on a failed text message? I have, and RESEND MESSAGE is what I click, how bout you?

MrKleen

Reaction score
It does take a little time to learn how to use all the features. Especially when you come from a phone that does it differently. And for some people an Android phone may be too complicated. You have to enjoy technology and figuring things out... some people need the simplicity of a flip phone.

rustymcbain

Reaction score
It does take a little time to learn how to use all the features. Especially when you come from a phone that does it differently. And for some people an Android phone may be too complicated. You have to enjoy technology and figuring things out... some people need the simplicity of a flip phone.

+ 1 .... so many complaints for a phone that was rated number one in 2010 by consumer reports. Those guys don't screw around they shoot straight on all the products and have an objective opinion. My x is running the new 3.4.2 and it can do everything but cook me an egg and make a white Russian. And im sure they'll be an update for that soon. ;)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

madbrad70

Reaction score
Is there a way to delete your email on your phone and on the account at the same time ? Dont like having to log in to my account to clean it out all the time.

2xhighpsi

Reaction score
haha every complaint has been pwned.

As i was reading each complaint, I couldnt help think "Yes you can, I do it all the time".

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
While I agree that there is a work around or app to solve many of the short comings of the phone, I see the OP's point as well.

Coming from a D1 to my DX, I wasn't thrilled to find that a needed part of contact management that was there in the past was left out. I haven't found a program that allows me to see my contacts sorted any where near as well as the old default program did.

Some people don't like or want to have to customize everything to make it functionable.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App