Easiest Way To Root / Re-Root Your Phone

Devlin85

Reaction score
Issue #1: I Have a New Droid and Need to Root It!

So you have a new Droid and you need to gain Root access so you can gain access to certain features or certain folders so you can do more than what they want to allow. As long as your phone is one of the models listed below this will work for you. (It may work even if your phone isn't listed, there is a temporary option so you can test it, if the temporary option works you can try permanent)​

Phones Compatible with z4root: Backflip, Cricket Huawei Ascend, Dell streak, Droid 1, Droid 2, Droid X, G1, Galaxy 3 I5800, Galaxy I5700, Galaxy, Tab, Garmin Asus A50, Hero, Huawei 8120, LG Ally, Motorola Cliq, Motorola Defy, Motorola Flipside, Motorola, Milestone 2, Optimus T, Samsung Acclaim, Samsung Galaxy S (All variants), Smartq v7 android 2.1, Sony X10, X10 Mini Pro, Xperia Mini​

How To Root Your Phone:

1. Download z4root 1.3.0

2. Make sure you can install non-market apps. (Menu, Settings, Applications, check "Unknown Sources")

3. Open a File Explorer and find z4root on your phone's SD card and Install it.

4. Load up z4root again and hit "Permanent Root" and it will then use an exploit to gain root access to your phone and install Busybox and Superuser. (It will take up to 15 minutes depending on your phone) It will then reboot once it has completed and you will have a Rooted Phone! Enjoy!!​

Issue #2: I Upgraded My Android Software to the Newest Version but Forgot to Un-Root it First!

So you need to re-root your phone due to an update, and of course, you forgot to Un-Root it beforehand.. At this point you may be having a frustrating time trying to Re-Root your phone, you still have superuser installed but its worthless, it doesn't work even though there are programs it says have access, they really don't. And there's no way to uninstall it from your phone and the easy one click methods you used before are unable to Root your phone and they also don't think your phone is rooted (because it no longer is) so the Un-Root methods run from computers won't work either.

I spent a lot of time installing various Development Kits (Android SDK) and other Runtime Environments to gain access to the phone with ADB from windows and to terminal my way in and run scripts to manually Un-Root my phone but soon found out (After getting a million access denied's and Not Found Errors) that there was no way to properly access the features and folders I need from outside the phone I then focused my search on a program that can Root and Un-Root from the phone itself and BAM! There it was, the exact program I needed on an obscure post on some small unknown tech blog, z4root! Its a package you can install on your phone (as long as you have enabled the ability to install non-market apps) that allows you to root and Un-Root your phone (Even temporarily, just in case you wanna test it first) due to an exploit that the maker has found. Just check the list below to make sure your phone is compatible, even if it isn't you can always give it a try especially if you need to remove Superuser so you can Root Your phone a different way!​

Phones Compatible with z4root: Backflip, Cricket Huawei Ascend, Dell streak, Droid 1, Droid 2, Droid X, G1, Galaxy 3 I5800, Galaxy I5700, Galaxy, Tab, Garmin Asus A50, Hero, Huawei 8120, LG Ally, Motorola Cliq, Motorola Defy, Motorola Flipside, Motorola, Milestone 2, Optimus T, Samsung Acclaim, Samsung Galaxy S (All variants), Smartq v7 android 2.1, Sony X10, X10 Mini Pro, Xperia Mini​

How To Re-Root Your Phone:

1. Download z4root 1.3.0

2. Make sure you can install non-market apps. (Menu, Settings, Applications, check "Unknown Sources")

4. Load up z4root and hit "Un-Root", it will the use an exploit to gain root access and Un-Root your phone, afterwards it will automatically restart.

5. When you phone comes back up load up z4root again and then hit "Permanent Root" and it will then use an exploit to gain root access to your phone and install Busybox and Superuser. (It will take up to 15 minutes depending on your phone) It will then reboot once it has completed and you will once again have a rooted phone that you can do what you want with! Enjoy!!​

Last edited:

cluetrain

Reaction score
Issue #1: I Have a New Droid and Need to Root It!
So you have a new Droid and you need to gain Root access so you can gain access to certain features or certain folders so you can do more than what they want to allow. As long as your phone is one of the models listed below this will work for you. (It may work even if your phone isn't listed, there is a temporary option so you can test it, if the temporary option works you can try permanent)​
How To Root Your Phone:
1. Download z4root 1.3.0

4. Load up z4root again and hit "Permanent Root" and it will then use an exploit to gain root access to your phone and install Busybox and Superuser. (It will take up to 15 minutes depending on your phone) It will then reboot once it has completed and you will have a Rooted Phone! Enjoy!!​
Issue #2: I Upgraded My Android Software to the Newest Version but Forgot to Un-Root it First!
So you need to re-root your phone due to an update, and of course, you forgot to Un-Root it beforehand.. At this point you may be having a frustrating time trying to Re-Root your phone, you still have superuser installed but its worthless, it doesn't work even though there are programs it says have access, they really don't. And there's no way to uninstall it from your phone and the easy one click methods you used before are unable to Root your phone and they also don't think your phone is rooted (because it no longer is) so the Un-Root methods run from computers won't work either.

I spent a lot of time installing various Development Kits (Android SDK) and other Runtime Environments to gain access to the phone with ADB from windows and to terminal my way in and run scripts to manually Un-Root my phone but soon found out (After getting a million access denied's and Not Found Errors) that there was no way to properly access the features and folders I need from outside the phone I then focused my search on a program that can Root and Un-Root from the phone itself and BAM! There it was, the exact program I needed on an obscure post on some small unknown tech blog, z4root! Its a package you can install on your phone (as long as you have enabled the ability to install non-market apps) that allows you to root and Un-Root your phone (Even temporarily, just in case you wanna test it first) due to an exploit that the maker has found. Just check the list below to make sure your phone is compatible, even if it isn't you can always give it a try especially if you need to remove Superuser so you can Root Your phone a different way!​
How To Re-Root Your Phone:
1. Download z4root 1.3.0

4. Load up z4root and hit "Un-Root", it will the use an exploit to gain root access and Un-Root your phone, afterwards it will automatically restart.

5. When you phone comes back up load up z4root again and then hit "Permanent Root" and it will then use an exploit to gain root access to your phone and install Busybox and Superuser. (It will take up to 15 minutes depending on your phone) It will then reboot once it has completed and you will once again have a rooted phone that you can do what you want with! Enjoy!!​

This a problem with the Atrix you cannot install non-market apps. No problem getting the apk there but now what? I haven't found any other solutions. As you mentioned the 2nd version of SuperOneClick with an alternate set of instructions doesn't work either. Do you know how to get rid of the superuser icon? Thanks

cluetrain

Reaction score
This isn't for the Atrix. As for getting rid of the SU icon, you could root again and delete it with some TE-jitsu, or you can SBF it.

Thanks FBM

But unfortunately I can't find a way to root again. After the update it looked like I was still rooted but pdanet worked for just long enough to get to a page or two and then a usb out fails with a -5 error appears. You can reboot everything an start over with the same results. Other non-market apps still seemed to work. Anyway I don't know of a way to re-root the phone.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I know it does. I'm hoping curiosity increases traffic and, by extension, sales. Nobody's been interested in the 30%-off coupon I made up, either. Oh well. :)

SBF is both the file type and method of returning your phone to stock, at least for non-D1 Motorola phones. I know there's an Atrix SBF floating around, but my source for information on it stopped just shy of giving me the link. You use a program called RSD Lite if you're on Windows or SBF_Flash if you're on Linux. If you're using RSD Lite you need 4.9 (unless 5.0 has been released). You have to put the phone in bootloader mode, connect it to the PC, load up the program, use the program to load up the SBF, then you flash the phone. You will lose EVERYTHING on the phone if you SBF it, though. The SD card will remain untouched, however.

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
z4root does not work on Droid 1 if running either FRG22D or FRG33G.

cluetrain

Reaction score
Thanks for the help- looks like its up to 4.5.3 - I guess I'm stuck.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you're trying to root an Atrix I can look for a method for you. If you're looking to root a Droid 1 the method outlined in link 2 in my signature is the best method.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Have you tried this? And this is pretty off-topic for the original post. :)

[video=youtube;A_JINF__UKg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_JINF__UKg[/video]