early upgrades.

nakhleh926

Reaction score
the main question is at the end of the post if you don't want to read about my adventure with the pothead Verizon rep that I forgot the name of and will call billybob.

IRRELEVANT PART THAT ISN'T REALLY ENTERTAINING:

my phone was experiencing several issues for a few days, still don't know why, it would just have HORRIBLE signal for no reason at allll, even through sbfing. it wasn't just my service since I compared my friends equivalent phone signal to mine in the same area. anyway, I decided I wanted to go to the Verizon store and use my insurance to get another one. so, 25 miles later I'm there, spent about 10 minutes waiting, then billybob approaches me with bloodshot eyes and asks questions, I replied and told him my problems and all that jazz, even made up the fact that my phone crashed constantly to be able to exchange it, he takes only three minutes of my time, installs ATK on my phone without asking me and says that reboots are normal for droid xs and to keep this installed and I should be fine. obviously he was wrong, but I couldn't tell him that he was an idiot, so I parted ways with billybob.

two days later, nothing has changed, I cursed billybob for being so silly and I decided to drive back and try again, in hopes of using my insurance this time for a new phone, I walk in and wait again for about 10-15 minutes, then all of the sudden, out of nowhere, billybob appears AGAIN with his bloodshot eyes, I told him that atk did nothing and that the phones signal was worse than usual/I kept crashing, he used the most bull excuse ever by saying that RANDOM REBOOTS ARE COMPLETELY NORMAL FOR A DX AND THAT HIS DOES IT OFTEN. I knew I was stuck with a clown that had no idea how to use a DX after that statement.

so the relevant part, I asked him about early upgrades, without taking two seconds he said that they no longer existed, even though a rep I talked to over the phone said they were not going to do them anymore soon, but I still had over a week. I asked him again to double check and then we parted ways again. billybob seemed very rude both times I was there, so I don't know if he was rushing me out, ignorant, or high. but I keep seeing all these posts about early upgrades in this forum, so im really curious, did I get screwed?

yayyyyyyyyyyy for venting.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
On a new 2 year contract you can't upgrade til the 20th month. If you have a current 2 year contract, you should still be able to upgrade at the 12 month mark.

kdkinc

Reaction score
Was the store a company store or one of the VZW farm stand stores ??

Just wondering if you ever did the *228 option 2 thing ?

I usually have better luck with most issues talking to the VZW service rep on the phone . Once you explain about Mr BillyBob Bloodshot I think you may get better action.
Random reboots do seem to effect various phones, causes seem to be from various sources.

I guess your on a stock Rom ? Try a test. do a full hard reset or best yet a SBF.
Don't let any programs load at first reboot, uncheck the option at first sign on.
now just install from the Market apps you need, keeping phone at a minimum.
See how reboot issue goes for a few hours then slowly add a few more apps keeping track.

There are several other things you can try or maybe your phone is just plain sick.
Try clearing the cache.
Try wiping the SD card AFTER MAKING A COPY store copy on your PC.
Try this thread also,
maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip

Hope some of this dribble helps...

EDIT: just looked at your posting stats ...Hell you know all this crap best to ya LOL

Chris-pee

Reaction score
On a new 2 year contract you can't upgrade til the 20th month. If you have a current 2 year contract, you should still be able to upgrade at the 12 month mark.

Only if you have the 49.95 voice plan. I have the 39.95 voice plan and they said I have to wait untill august (20 month on 2 year contract). I was peeved like a pink pony.

OP
N

nakhleh926

Reaction score

the lady over the phone said I was eligible when I asked but I'm definitely not at the 12 month mark so I'm a bit confused, she seemed nice so maybe I almost got a favor? Either way I can definitely not afford to upgrade and my DX still serves me well :p I just wanted things to get cleared up.

Was the store a company store or one of the VZW farm stand stores ??

Just wondering if you ever did the *228 option 2 thing ?

I usually have better luck with most issues talking to the VZW service rep on the phone . Once you explain about Mr BillyBob Bloodshot I think you may get better action.
Random reboots do seem to effect various phones, causes seem to be from various sources.

I guess your on a stock Rom ? Try a test. do a full hard reset or best yet a SBF.
Don't let any programs load at first reboot, uncheck the option at first sign on.
now just install from the Market apps you need, keeping phone at a minimum.
See how reboot issue goes for a few hours then slowly add a few more apps keeping track.

There are several other things you can try or maybe your phone is just plain sick.
Try clearing the cache.
Try wiping the SD card AFTER MAKING A COPY store copy on your PC.
Try this thread also,
maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip

Hope some of this dribble helps...

EDIT: just looked at your posting stats ...Hell you know all this crap best to ya LOL

:p thank you for trying to help though, I appreciate it, mah phone is fine now :).
edit: I did do the star 228 option 2 thing, nothing changed at the time lol.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am more bothered that the Verizon rep thinks that "reboots are normal" for this phone.

That says that the phone itself is defective, and that the flaw is wide-spread enough that it is "the norm".

That's BS. If the phone is flawed by design and that is what is causing the reboots, then they need to recall them, find a fix or issue us a different phone.

If this was a car, and "the norm" was that it wouldn't start half the time, you can bet that the car company would be fixing it rather than just telling you that it is "normal".

What BS...

OP
N

nakhleh926

Reaction score
I am more bothered that the Verizon rep thinks that "reboots are normal" for this phone.

That says that the phone itself is defective, and that the flaw is wide-spread enough that it is "the norm".

That's BS. If the phone is flawed by design and that is what is causing the reboots, then they need to recall them, find a fix or issue us a different phone.

If this was a car, and "the norm" was that it wouldn't start half the time, you can bet that the car company would be fixing it rather than just telling you that it is "normal".

What BS...

right? I wanted to argue back but I didn't know how to word "listen bro I'm smarter than you"

I sbfed before going there both times as well as reinstall atk the second time so he could see I used it. I hate billybob

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

What BS...

right? I wanted to argue back but I didn't know how to word "listen bro I'm smarter than you"

I sbfed before going there both times as well as reinstall atk the second time so he could see I used it. I hate billybob

Billybo is just some dork working there. The real problem is that we have a defective phone, either at a hardware level or an OS level.