E-Mail Trash Folder Shows 4 Messages

flynfuzz

Reaction score
The trash folder in my Droid E-Mail shows 4 messages. It was 3, up until a few days ago. Now it reads "4."

Problem is there's nothing in the Trash folder - or any other folder, for that matter. But I can't seem to get rid of the "4" in the trash folder.

Anyone encountered this ?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, we've all abandoned the stock email app for K9 or any other alternative you can find.

HamDog

Reaction score
Yes, we've all abandoned the stock email app for K9 or any other alternative you can find.

Do you mean abandon the stock e-mail app or the stock Gmail app? Or can k9 do the job of both those apps?

Currently, I only use the Gmail app. I have set-up gmail to retrieve all my e-mails from other POP accounts, so the one Gmail app does it all for me. BUT...one problem I have is that when using the gmail app, I can ONLY send an e-mail using my gmail account. Eventhough it shows e-mails from my POP accounts (that have been retrieved by Gmail), when I reply to those, it sends from my Gmail address and will not allow me to change the "sent from" field to my pop address. But I can do this through my computer's web browser on Gmail. Can k9 address this properly? And will it display mail from Gmail instantly?

BTW, I'm also showing 4 spam messages when there are none, that's what got me into this thread.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of this happening with the gmail client. You should try deleting "Gmail storage" data in phone settings > applications > manage applications

That may reset your trash count. If you go to gmail.com web site settings you can set up different From addresses so that when you REPLY to an email it will appear from the address it was sent to.

K9 let's you set up identities so yo can COMPOSE as well as reply. You can actually use K9 and the gmail app together since gmail uses IMAP. You should try out K9. No reason not to.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I approve aminaked's message for K9.

HamDog

Reaction score
I hadn't heard of this happening with the gmail client. You should try deleting "Gmail storage" data in phone settings > applications > manage applications

My phone doesn't show a Gmail app under settings>apps>manage apps. Does anyone elses? Is it just me?

If you go to gmail.com web site settings you can set up different From addresses so that when you REPLY to an email it will appear from the address it was sent to.

I've already done that and everything works fine through the Gmail website. But when using the Gmail client on our phones, this option does not exist and all e-mails go out with your Gmail "sent from" address field, even if received by some other pop-account.

K9 let's you set up identities so yo can COMPOSE as well as reply. You can actually use K9 and the gmail app together since gmail uses IMAP. You should try out K9. No reason not to.

Well, one reason not to try it out is my laziness! :) I have several different POP accounts, and many rules and folders (what gmail calls "labels") that it's literally a pain-in-the-a$$ to set all that stuff up again while typing on a little phone. Nice thing about Gmail is that I set it all up on their website using my desktop computer and it all follows you on your phone's gmail app. Well, except for the part I mentioned above that the "sent from" field issue.

But I appreciate the help. I'll get my lazy a$$ working on trying out K9.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Manage applications > menu > filter > all > gmail storage > clear data

I think there's a setting at gmail.com that's something like "automatically send from account that received email" that you need to check.

I don't know how k9 handles custom labels...good luck!

HamDog

Reaction score
Manage applications > menu > filter > all > gmail storage > clear data

Ah! I forgot to look under the "All"! I cleared all data, including cache, but it still shows 5 unread Spam messages after synching. But when I open up Gmail website through my computer, it shows correctly that there are no unread spam messages. Weird.

I think there's a setting at gmail.com that's something like "automatically send from account that received email" that you need to check.

You are correct. I do have that box checked. And it works fine in my computers web browser. But still, with our gmail clients on our phones, it still sends all responses with my gmail address as the "from" field.

I don't know how k9 handles custom labels...good luck!

Thanks, I need to make time to check it out.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hah, now it's the spam folder? Weird!

Haven't tried it myself with the "From" address thing but people have said it works. I don't know as I use k9.

Mg_wings

Reaction score
The trash folder in my Droid E-Mail shows 4 messages. It was 3, up until a few days ago. Now it reads "4."

Problem is there's nothing in the Trash folder - or any other folder, for that matter. But I can't seem to get rid of the "4" in the trash folder.

Anyone encountered this ?

I have the same promblem..... Please let me know if you know what the fix is to this problem.