E-mail problem

johng

Reaction score
I am trying to set up my Mid-Continent (Midco) email account on the Droid. I can receive mail but not not send it. Midco tells me that I need to contact Verizon to find out what out going smtp and port they use and Verizon tells me that they don't support a mobile smtp anymore. Any suggestions.

(.mac and g-mail seem to work fine, only problem is with the Midco account)

Thanks
John

OP
J

johng

Reaction score
Tried that already no luck. I think I need to use another smtp rather then smtp.midco.net

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh, that sucks. Their smtp server doesn't allow authentication and blocks you if you aren't connecting from home? Personally, I think that's very crappy of them. What are you supposed to do if you travel? They need to get out of the dark ages. End rant.

OP
J

johng

Reaction score
Not yet, tried the smtp settings from the .mac account, no luck there.

spectacular

Reaction score
I emailed Midcontinent, sending a link to this thread and this is their reply:

"Thank you for contacting Midcontinent Communications.

As stated previously, we don't have an authenticated SMTP server available for an outside Midcontinent connection. You can connect to email through any connection Midcontinent services.

Connections from outside the Midcontinent connection will not allow SMTP traffic at this time. Since you are utilizing a connection from another network when checking email with a smartphone (other than a Blackberry, they have their own server they use and have not dropped the SMTP servers like most cell providers have) then you would want to find a solution through the network provider you are making that connection with.

We do have WebMail available for customers who would like to send messages while away from home at mail.midco.net.

We value you as a customer and appreciate your business. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. You can also visit one of our Customer Service Centers or call 1-800-888-1300.

Midcontinent Communications"​

I guess it doesn't look good for us Midcontinent users. :-(

OP
J

johng

Reaction score
Guess I'll be relying on g-mail and the .mac accounts for now. Thanks all.

JamisonM

Reaction score
Midco Account

I figured out how to get my Midco account to work on my Droid X. The smtp server setting needs to be smtpa.midco.net, port 25 and do not check the use secure connection check box.

Hope this helps.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It probably doesn't work outside their network (i.e. not on WiFi while connected to the internet via Midco) though. That's generally the issue with SMTP servers that don't support any form of authentication as an anti=spam measure.

BrazenHed

Reaction score
smtpa.midco.net works.

I just wanted to throw in my two cents that I was able to send email from outside of midco's network after changing the server to smtpa.midco.net.

This must be a recent change. I had to help my dad out this weekend. He's not sure how long it hasn't been sending properly but I'm fairly sure that it was working with smtp.midco.net from an outside network earlier this year.

...And don't get me started on how much I hate Midco. Worst... ISP... EV-AR!

A few years ago, they actually tried to tell me that it was technically impossible to setup forwarding on their email accounts. When I called them on their BS and forced them to let me talk to a manager, they finally admitted that it was their policy to not forward email accounts due to "security settings" to protect people from viruses.

Yeah... Because forwarding from your crappy email server to my trusted Exchange server, (which takes the email off of your servers AFTER it's gone through your filters) is a security risk... Whatever, idiots.

Anyway, for that situation, POPCon (Big thumbs up for that, BTW) provided me with the workaround that I needed.

But I digress... Bottom line, Midco sucks worse than any ISP I've ever come across, but if you need to relay outgoing mail with your own VALID email account from an outside network, smtpa.midco.net will let you do what you need to do (for now).

Zzz73

Reaction score
I figured out how to get my Midco account to work on my Droid X. The smtp server setting needs to be smtpa.midco.net, port 25 and do not check the use secure connection check box.

Hope this helps.

This cleared it right up for me. Many thanks!

bonfire817

Reaction score
Thank you thank you!!

Hope this helps.

I joined just to say THANK YOU (but I am already finding interesting stuff, so glad I did). I have been banging my head into the desk for 3 hours here trying to get my midco mail to work, and finally found this thread. YAY! It works! I also had to uncheck the log in each time to get it to work. Thanks so much!!