E-mail not updating (refreshing?)

Crockett

Reaction score
My wife and I both have the original Droid. We've both got Froyo 2.0.

We both love everything about our phones except for one thing. Occasionally one of our phones, but never both at the same time refuses to update our e-mail. Sometimes our e-mail up to 2 days old before it refreshes. We're both retired and our phones are always with us -- and we're almost always together -- so the phones rearly in two separate locations.

When it happens to my phone I have clicked "refresh" and the refresh icon just keeps spinning and spinning and it doesn't refresh. When it happens to my wife's phone, she's turned her phone off then back on and eventually the e-mail gets updated. But it updated so slowly, we're not sure the reboot fixed it or not.

I've scoured my application settings and can't figure out why this is happening. Do we need to do a reboot every time this happens?

Even though we love our phones in every other way -- e-mail is very important to us and a reboot takes so long, it would be a deal breaker for another model of Andriod phone -- unless it's only an issue with this model of phone -- or with this version of Froyo 2.0.

Help!
Crockett

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
For any email assistance request please include the email app you're using and the email account type. It's nearly impossible to assist without such details.

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
I've noticed that my Yahoo! email (using stock email app on the phone) no longer fetches my email automatically. It is set to fetch every 15 mins, but it doesn't. I have to refresh from the program to get my new mail.

I recently changed to GO Launcher EX and suspect that this is probably the cause of my refresh problem with my Yahoo! email. I like the program, so I just manually refresh my Yahoo! Mail. That's my only work around until and unless they update GO Launcher EX to fix this little problem (which I'm totally putting on that program since that is when I noticed the problem). :icon_eek:

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
Maildroid.

Is it worth it to pay $18 for the pay version? I've downloaded the freebie version for my Yahoo! access (I have Yahoo! Mail Plus), but that is the only program that I would use it for. I don't know if I like the ads at the bottom since I think it takes up screen real estate.

Thanks!

AngryHatter

Reaction score
I bought it to support the dev with the program.
It is the ONLY email app that worked as email is supposed to work, for me.

He is very responsive and has been updating quite a bit.
Yes, to me it was worth every cent.

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
I had to remove Maildroid because however I had it set up, it didn't allow me access to my email account online. I'm back to the stock email program.

Gandyj

Reaction score
My wife and I both have the original Droid. We've both got Froyo 2.0.

We both love everything about our phones except for one thing. Occasionally one of our phones, but never both at the same time refuses to update our e-mail. Sometimes our e-mail up to 2 days old before it refreshes. We're both retired and our phones are always with us -- and we're almost always together -- so the phones rearly in two separate locations.

When it happens to my phone I have clicked "refresh" and the refresh icon just keeps spinning and spinning and it doesn't refresh. When it happens to my wife's phone, she's turned her phone off then back on and eventually the e-mail gets updated. But it updated so slowly, we're not sure the reboot fixed it or not.

I've scoured my application settings and can't figure out why this is happening. Do we need to do a reboot every time this happens?

Even though we love our phones in every other way -- e-mail is very important to us and a reboot takes so long, it would be a deal breaker for another model of Andriod phone -- unless it's only an issue with this model of phone -- or with this version of Froyo 2.0.

Help!
Crockett

My droid 1 has recently started doing the same thing. I'm using whatever the app is that comes already on the phone and I have comcast e-mail as well as G-mail, although I never use G-mail.
I just noticed something while checking my e-mail folders. A couple of days ago my trash folder was showing over 5000 messages now it's only showing 23, what happened?

FrancaV

Reaction score
Hi, all,

I don't visit all of the various Droid forums very often because thankfully I've only ever had one really aggravating problem on my Droid that I haven't been able to fix pretty quickly. <knock wood> But I really appreciate all the great Droid info out here on the 'net!

I'm sorry Crockett (OP) didn't return to answer the question posed to him because his problem sounded very similar to my husband's issue. Perhaps Crockett found the fix and felt no need to return. I hope that's the case and that he and his wife's phones are working fine now.

My husband and I bought identical Motorola Droids a couple of years ago. Except for the occasional global Google mail glitch, Gmail has been working fine on both of our Droids. No problems with syncing and refreshing once we got everything set up correctly. This is the native Gmail that came with the Moto Droid, updated to the current version on both of our phones.

A few days ago, out of the blue, Gmail on my husband's Droid quit refreshing. He received no notifications of new email and when he went into Gmail there were no new messages. This morning there were still no messages dated more recently than July 19th. A manual refresh did not bring in the new mail, and this fact is what set my husband's issue apart from virtually every other instance of Gmail refresh problems I could find in my exhaustive online searches. My own Droid was having no issues.

Exiting Gmail (making sure it was really closed in Manage Apps) and reopening it brought in the new email but was not a permanent fix. New email continued not to show. Not by auto sync and not by manual refresh.

I cleared his Gmail cache (which was huge compared to mine, almost 12 MB vs. my 3.42 MB) but that did not fix the problem.

I checked all of the sync and notification settings both in Gmail itself and in the phone's Accounts and Sync settings. There was nothing amiss, nothing set differently than on my Droid which continued to function normally.

I admit that at this point I departed from my "change only one thing at a time" rule because I had spent considerable time on this and was frustrated. So when I got around to rebooting the phone I did not do a simple reboot -- I turned the phone off and I removed and replaced the battery. I turned the phone back on, and so far Gmail seems to be back to normal. So I don't know if a simple reboot would have sufficed, but the combo approach worked. I think the reason that this happened to my husband and not to me is that I use my phone a lot more than he does and find that it gets "tired" in various ways so I reboot it fairly often and had, in fact, taken the battery out fairly recently to fix a different issue.

The phone had not been displaying any additional oddities that I might have expected from a need to reboot, which I why I didn't try the reboot first thing. I find it a little strange that the only thing not working correctly was the Gmail refresh. Nonetheless, the moral of the story is:

If you have an odd problem on your phone that you are unable to diagnose, reboot. If the simple reboot doesn't work, shut the phone down and take the battery out, then replace and turn on. <rant on> I'm frankly surprised and disappointed that in all of my searching (everywhere I looked, not just here), not one person suggested this. I'm not saying this will always be the answer, but personally I would never give up on diagnosing any sort of mobile phone (or laptop/netbook/tablet) issue without trying this, so people be advised ... add this to your list of suggestions when folks have apparently inexplicable problems on their phones. Before you suggest that people download new and possibly expensive apps that are equally susceptible to "tired phone syndrome". </rant off>

Thank you all for being here! :greendroid: