E-Mail issues

floorlizard

Reaction score
Please help!!!
Ever since I got my Droid 3 over two months ago, I am having trouble with being able to access my e-mail through outlook 2007 on my home computer. I do have multiple devices that access the server (Desktop, Laptop, IPad, Droid), however, all but the desktop are set to leave the messages on the server. Everything worked fine until I got my Droid 3. Now when I attempt to access my e-mail through any device other than my Droid, I get a message stating "your mailbox is temporarily unavailable because another mail application is accessing it.... This is causing me to lose tons of emails for my job and could cause me to lose my job if it continues.
Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Please help!!!
Ever since I got my Droid 3 over two months ago, I am having trouble with being able to access my e-mail through outlook 2007 on my home computer. I do have multiple devices that access the server (Desktop, Laptop, IPad, Droid), however, all but the desktop are set to leave the messages on the server. Everything worked fine until I got my Droid 3. Now when I attempt to access my e-mail through any device other than my Droid, I get a message stating "your mailbox is temporarily unavailable because another mail application is accessing it.... This is causing me to lose tons of emails for my job and could cause me to lose my job if it continues.
Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

You may have the polling frequency set too frequently on the phone.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
switch to IMAP if possible. if not, lower the polling frequency on all devices

OP
F

floorlizard

Reaction score
switch to IMAP if possible. if not, lower the polling frequency on all devices

Problem is that I need the pollinf frequency set to poll as often as possible. I am in commission sales and need to know the moment a delivery is received. Even a 5 minute delay can cost me money. I had my previous phone (a palm pre plus) set to poll at the same 5 minute interval that my droid is set to pol and I never had this issue. Also, I have turned off my droid and attempted to download my msgs and still get the error.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
What email service are you using? Is it something like gmail or is it through work? What kind of email server? POP/Exchange/IMAP?

There is a way to turn off the error message in Outlook. I don't know why the error would cause you to lose mail. Are you losing it or is it just delayed?

If you are connecting via all of these clients at once, it isn't a great idea to use POP. I'd see if IMAP works. Some servers allow multiple ways to connect.

OP
F

floorlizard

Reaction score
I am using my ISP E-Mail server (charter.net) and is set up as POP. I am not familiar with IMAP. I don't understand why I am losing E-Mail either... I don't know if I have the settings incorrect on my Droid or what.

I have my corporate E-Mail forwarded to my personal account... I use my phone as a 'quick look' for my E-mail. If there is something I need to see larger or is not formated in such a way that I can see it on my phone, I will use my Ipad or Laptop. Regardless of the device used to view, I want all E-Mails left on the server until I download them to my home desktop.

doogald

Reaction score
I have charter.net at home and it does support IMAP (which is a different mail fetching service from POP which may be better, plus, by design, IMAP leaves mail on the server - it only deletes it when you put the mail in the trash.) Here are the server addresses, settings, etc: Email Settings and Web Sites - Charter Communications

Anyway, you may also want to consider trying the (free) mail app K9 mail, to see if it works better for you.

K9 mail in the market: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.fsck.k9&feature=search_result

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Yes, I agree with doogaid. Switch all of your clients to IMAP. Try K9 on your droid.

ashobe

Reaction score
Get Touchdown app

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums