Charter.net email issues

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
I can't necessarily offer much direct help here, but IIRC RFC1939 (the POP3 specification) allows only a single active connection to any given POP3 mailbox at a time. Different mail servers (the server, not your client/reader) have different timeout settings for how long they will hold a POP3 account locked once accessed by a POP3 client. If this lock timeout is excessively long and your mail update frequency on your droid is very frequent, essentially your droid will keep your POP3 mailbox locked 100% of the time.

As has been observed, one solution might be to use POP3 from your droid and another protocol from your desktop machine (if the mail server isn't smart enough to lock the mailbox for access by all protocols when accessed).

As also observed, forwarding to GMail is of course another way around this as your desktop can check the box directly and your droid will be accessing only your GMail.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not much help here other than to point out that the POP3 specification (unfortunately) dictates some of this behavior.

jaxinaustin

Reaction score
Hello all,
Here are the correct settings for you Charter account using Droid:

Mail Type: POP
Incoming Mail Server: mail.charterinternet.com
Username: [email protected] (first part of your email address DO NOT omit the @charter.net)
Password: whatever the password is to access the charter email account
Port: 110
Encryption: None

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.charterinternet.com
Authentication: ON
Username: [email protected] (first part of your email address DO NOT omit the @charter.net)
Port: 25
I have been trying for a week to get Charter Outlook Express email on my Droid x. This finally worked, and I thank you!

days

Reaction score
Thanks Jaxinaustin :)

Hubby and I both have the Droid and of course, Charter. Thank you a lot for the post regarding the correct settings on the phone. We called both Charter and Verizon and like so many others, they both said it was the other's issue. Oh, we also were told to call the manufacturer.

I would love to have this info sent to Charter and Verizon as the official fix when more people call them regarding this problem.

days

Reaction score
Hello all,

thank you for posting the correct information for how to set our email w/Charter on our Droids!

I incorrectly posted a thanks to Jaxinaustin and this should have been sent to you upon further reading.

You should send this info to Verizon and Charter as the correct information for the fix.

Amberjax

Reaction score
My wife and I just got new Droid X phones last week and were having the same problem not being able to send email through Charter. Incoming mail worked fine but could not get the thing to send out emails. I kept getting a message saying I needed to be connected to the Charter server. With the help of this thread I've got both phones working. First, I downloaded the K9 email to my phone and got it working, although the standard outgoing server would still not work. I changed the outgoing server to the "smtp.charterinternet.com" server and it starting sending emails. I did not have to change the incoming server from the original. Then I tried the same settings on the regular Droid X email on my wife's phone (did not install K9 on hers) and it also works. She is receiving and sending the emails now with no problem even without the K9 mail.
thanks to everyone that has posted on this. It saved me a ton of aggrevation!! Hope my 2 cents helps someone else.

Last edited:

Skrat982

Reaction score
Can I limit the number of charter emails in my inbox on Droid? I want to save email on my computer, but each time I receceive and delete an email on Droid an older one from my computer appears at the end of the list on my droid as unread email. If I delete several from droid I get an equal number at the end. As a result, the list on Droid keeps getting longer and longer.

Amberjax

Reaction score
That's strange.... Mine hasn't done that, but of course I'm using K9 mail. I have two email accounts on that and it doesn't seem to effect the way the email works. When I delete emails from the Droid, the emails are still on the pc at home when I open Outlook at home. My wife still is using the Droid email but only has one email account. She hasn't had any trouble with old email showing up.

Skrat982

Reaction score
Amberjax, thanks for the reply. My issue has only occured since update to 2.2. Some reason it is just reading old emails still on server as new unread email. And of course it shows as a notification so I keep checking it. Had to shut off notification sound. :lifting:

dweddig

Reaction score
Thank you Proactiv!!! dancedroid

NO thanks to Charter or Verizon! :icon_evil:

Lavern42

Reaction score
Charter email

Thank you so much for submitting this info because I have tried several solutions posted by others and yours is the only one that works correctly.

Hello all,

Brant124

Reaction score
How to delete emails on Charter email server?

When I delete email on Droid X it does not delete on the Charter email server. I have tried empting the Trash folder on the phone and synching again but email will not be removed on server. I have setup email account to use IMAP settings on inbound and SMTP on outbound.

tlynnep

Reaction score
I know you solved this problem awhile ago but I wanted to tell you thank you. After spending some frustrating time on my own, on the phone with charter tech support who then sent me to Microsoft saying it was an Outlook issue, then hanging up on MS support... I found this thread and it worked. Thank you for taking the time to fix your problem and post your solution.

kap0ne

Reaction score
Works on Droid X2 like a charm as well!!

Hello all,

I have been searching for DAYS and trying every combonation of incomming and outgoing, no SSL, SSL, ports etc and nothing ever worked. As always Charter said it was an issue with Verizon and when I spoke to Verizons "tech" people the guy said, and I quote "Man look, I have a Droid X2 and Charter for an ISP and the default settings the phone finds will work, they do on mine". Thats a load of CRAP!!!

Proactiv, MUCH props and thank you SOOOOO much. I see I am not the only one with a droid that you helped actualy get and send emails. I would either get neither, or one or the other.

dancedroid I will be coming back here for SURE!!
Kap0ne