E-mail Help about to throw in the towel

Supercomputers

Reaction score
Ok guys hours of reading forums calling verizon, motorolla, and my email hosting account Broadviewnet.net I have gotten the run around from all of them nobody can help.

I have tried the regular e-mail on the phone, I have tried K-9 and I have tried touchdown all dont work. My blackberry was so easy I cant understand it.

I can not get this phone to send e-mail under any conditions unless I use Gmail. Issue is I cant respond to work e-mails not using my correct e-mail account. Somebody please help me on what to do to get this to work. I have no ideas left in the tank and am about to throw in the towel

My server settings for incoming mail are

mail.broadviewnet.net

Port 110

Outgoing mail its SMTP-AUTH.broadviewnet.net

Port 25 or 587

I do get emails and for some reason I get the same emails over and over again even after they are deleted but I can not send emails at all. Also the only way I can get anything to work is setting the security settings to none. Everybody says I should be using secure but I cant even get to the next step in any of the programs when I check that box i always get the same message that I cant access the server?

Never had these issues on a blackberry and my home outlook still works fine can anybody out there help

Thanks
Dave

famac!

Reaction score
POP3 is hit and miss. Check the sig and star the issue.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You've got something set up wrong on your gmail settings. I suggest you have all your mail forwarded to gmail. You can do this is your settings at www.gmail.com, select accounts and imports and click on the add pop3 button. Just type in your email address and you should be good to go.

Groucho

Reaction score
I can not get this phone to send e-mail under any conditions unless I use Gmail. Issue is I cant respond to work e-mails not using my correct e-mail account. Somebody please help me on what to do to get this to work.
Luckily, this can be solved with one setting change in Gmail.

Go to Gmail web interface --> Settings --> Accounts and Import --> Send Mail As --> When Receiving a Message

Choose the option to "Reply from the same address the message was sent to" and you're good to go.

Silver Member
Reaction score
stop using the default email client. use gmail to check your pop3 accounts.

see sig.

Oohyeah

Reaction score

see sig.

That's what I would recommend too, which is also what I've been doing.

I log into my specially-created gmail account (i'm not otherwise a gmail user) and set it to retrieve emails from various other POP email accounts, using labels to label emails from different emails, and checking the option to use same email that I received with for when I'm replying to emails.

Then I sync my Droid gmail app with that account, and it's working great.

My only complaint is that the gmail app is not the best in terms of functionality - like not being able to 'mark all' so that I can 'mark previous as read' which I miss greatly from my blackberry days.

Silver Member
Reaction score

see sig.

That's what I would recommend too, which is also what I've been doing.

I log into my specially-created gmail account (i'm not otherwise a gmail user) and set it to retrieve emails from various other POP email accounts, using labels to label emails from different emails, and checking the option to use same email that I received with for when I'm replying to emails.

Then I sync my Droid gmail app with that account, and it's working great.

My only complaint is that the gmail app is not the best in terms of functionality - like not being able to 'mark all' so that I can 'mark previous as read' which I miss greatly from my blackberry days.
there's not a "mark all" but you can use the checkmarks to mark as many as you want and then mark them as read.

Oohyeah

Reaction score
Yeah, but I get tons of emails a day, many of which I do not want to open on my droid, so checking them all is very very cumbersome. On the BB it was very easy. But anyway, I'll live. :)

Silver Member
Reaction score
checking what's on the screen isn't that bad. you could always just open the browser and go to gmail.

you should look into using labels for your emails. divide them up as they come in.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
One acronym to solve your issues: I M A P

As for your send issue on VZ, if your SMTP server cant be reached, then use that of your home internet provider, in my case it is verizon, you enter that SMTP server and use your main internet account logon, this tell the SMTP that you are an authorized user of that network.

Personally (again) why is anyone setting up a pop3 on a mobile device? IMAP IMAP IMAP....

Silver Member
Reaction score
because IMAP implementation through the default email client is worthless at best. i've never used k-9 mail, but gmail takes care of everything i need and more.

why continue to hold on to "other" tehcnologies when you're using a google phone, designed to live in the google cloud?

DroidPDX

Reaction score
I did this, which is great, but now in my outlook I get two of everything, because anything that comes in to my gmail from another account is recognized by both comcast and gmail.

Silver Member
Reaction score
yup. in outlook you can setup filters to get rid of those emails. to be honest, since moving to the google cloud, i've used outlook alot less. i haven't found a cleaner way around it, short of filters.

also, when you send emails, you get those in your inbox too. it's because of google's labeling system. if outlook knew how to download the labels, this issue could be resolved.

kdhpga

Reaction score
What do i have wrong? Email from work forwards to gmail just fine. When I reply back it goes to my work email and not to the customer that sent me the email originally.
Kirk