E-book reader

cuesport

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good e-book reader application? I downloaded an app called Aldiko but very limited selection of books. I was using ereader.

ei8htohms

Reaction score
TextOnPhone is pretty great

But darned if I can find it on the market any more. Anyone know what happened to it?

ygohome

Reaction score
My sister just bought a motorola droid this morning and we searched for "ebook reader" in the market

came back with two pay apps and two free apps. Of the two free apps, FRReader was rated the highest and so thats what she installed. I believe it had something like 4 out of 5 stars.

Couldn't say how good it is though as I've not seen her or the her phone since lunch when we were first learning how to use the new phone

ei8htohms

Reaction score
TextOnPhone.apk attached

I pulled it off my G1 and uploaded it as a .zip file. You'll have to download it, unzip it and install it with Astro or similar, but it seems to work fine on the Droid.

Since it was a free application on the Android Market, I'm assuming it's OK to distribute here. Enjoy!

TheShaz

Reaction score
While I dont have a Droid.....yet - Gotta wait two more weeks for my upgrade eligibility.....

E-Book reader is very high on my list - I have a large LIT library and my wife does as well.

I found WORDPLAYER what I found impressive is the number of formats it can open...

From the web site

Read Many Formats

Use our seamless integration with the Calibre ebook library management application to transfer many types of ebooks to your phone, including CBZ, CBR, CBC, EPUB, FB2, HTML, LIT, MOBI, ODT, PDF, many PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, and TXT formats.

Calibre is a library management app that works with WORDPLAYER, it has PC, MAC and Linux versions. The computer app from the way I read this converts the different formats.

OP
cuesport

cuesport

Reaction score
Thanks for the textonphone link. It worked perfectly. I even learned how to install non-market applications!
I'm still hoping that I can find an app that allows you to buy new realeases and best sellers. I used e-reader on my palm and loved it. I should be able to find enough books in the public domain to keep me busy until someone develops one.

OP
cuesport

cuesport

Reaction score
Yes, I installed the free version but looking at the comments on the paid version, you still can't buy DRM protected books. I don't know why they haven't come up with a reader for the Android platform. Who doesn't want more sales?

Zennmaster

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good e-book reader application? I downloaded an app called Aldiko but very limited selection of books. I was using ereader.

I'd take a long look at FBReader. It's been around on Linux for a long time, and is quite stable. It also works well with a very wide variety of formats. I've been using it on the Droid with no issues.

Irishpapa

Reaction score
FBReader

New to the Droid. can you help with downloading I have always used Ereader and Palm... Now it's new ballgame.

Thanks in advance

OP
cuesport

cuesport

Reaction score
Great news - I think. I sent a message to ereader, asking them if they planned to do something with the android platfom. They replied quickly that they were working on it. Today I received an email saying that it is now available. I downloaded it to my Droid and the app comes up fine. I'm having a problem downloading my bookshelf. I get a message saying that my phone doesn't support the program. I've sent them another message and hope the problem will be resolved. I'll post the results.