suggestions for a nerd.

AndroidNoob

Reaction score
Hey guys. I love to read and was considering a kindle or a nook. Is there a book reader in the market that is any good? I tried Aldiko and it was limited to old classics. I'm even willing to pay for the books if it has a large selection. Or would I be better off purchasing an ereader.

Dustinmj

Reaction score
If you really want it just for reading... get a kindle 2... bigger screen, paper looks, 3g included etc.

If you want a wicked sweet device that does everything but make you coffee in the morning, get an Android device.

Or... get both :) Just my $0.02

OP
A

AndroidNoob

Reaction score
I have the Droid Eris. That's why I was asking about the book app. Sorry about the confusion.

fetchman

Reaction score
I have used ereader.com books and readers for several years and on different platforms - mainly Palm Pda's and have liked the book selection and readers. I was seriously considering getting a Nook before they were realeased, in part because they are connected with ereader.com. I was also wanting a Droid but couldn't justify both. Before the Nook became available, I got a notice from ereader.com that they were about to release an Android app. That was all I needed to get me off the fence. The next day I bought a Moto Droid! About a week later the reader app became availiable, got it and haven't looked back. I love both. I couldn't be happier with the Droid and the reader app works great. I no longer have to carry a camera, ipod, pda and phone. Have it all in my Droid!

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Where can one find this ereader app?

Strange that you choose 'AndroidNoob' as your name being that someday you might have a droid, and have hacked everyhting on it, and yet still be called a 'noob'

I say kindle2... You dont wanna read books on this phone, youll go blind.

OP
A

AndroidNoob

Reaction score
Trust me. I am a Noob. This is my first smartphone. I tried to root my Eris 2 weeks ago. and couldn't figure it out. I'm not computer/tech savvy.

solar

Reaction score
+1 on eReader. I use it and love it. I used it on my Windows mobile PDA back in the day, so I was glad to find it for the android. I've been using it for a few months now, and it seems to work really well.

harv2000

Reaction score
Hey guys. I love to read and was considering a kindle or a nook. Is there a book reader in the market that is any good? I tried Aldiko and it was limited to old classics. I'm even willing to pay for the books if it has a large selection. Or would I be better off purchasing an ereader.

I started looking at the same thing some time back culminating in the purchase of the B&N Nook two weeks ago. What lead to this choice was as follows.

1. I determined Barnes and Noble to have the best library of books that I wanted.
2. The Nook is an Android machine, meaning that even though today the Nook is a little rough and limited, it is headed for greatness.
3. While there is no B&N app today for Android, it is very likely that there will be very shortly, since the Nook runs on top of Android, and in fact, the eReader app can handle B&N purchased books.

What all this means is that Barnes and Noble purchased books can be read on any computer with the B&N application, on the Nook because it is a B&N device and on the phone with eReader. Secondly, it seems to mean that the future will hold even more integration possibilities for reading enthusiasts. Finally, I will say that for hours of reading pleasure, the gap in eye strain between reading on a computer screen and an eInk screen is amazing.

jimnutt

Reaction score
Aldiko will let you import books, just not DRMed books. What I do is use Calibre on the PC to manage my collection handle format conversions. With just a bit of searching on pastebin you can find python scripts that will strip the DRM from Mobipocket Secure (Kindle) books (a bit more searching will find something similar for epub books). Once you've stripped the DRM, Calibre can convert the formats and you can import the books into Aldiko. I've tried almost all the other readers in the market (I read a lot of books and have over 500 on my Droid) and so far Aldiko has the best combination of speed and aesthetics. I'm always looking though.

Important! Stripping the DRM on a book is not a license to steal it! Remove the DRM only for your own use!