During app updates, restarts and loops

redinro

Reaction score
For the past 2 or 3 weeks I have had this problem. Whenever I'm notified that an app update is available, I'm afraid to do it because every time I have updated these apps (either during the DL or installation) my phone just restarts and continues to loop like crazy. I usually end up removing the battery, let it sit for about 5 minutes (while this happens the battery gets crazy hot) and I turn it back on and it stops looping the restart. Sometimes it continues a couple of times then it just goes back to normal. I wonder if this has to do with some app(s) that i've downloaded or if its just a firmware issue. If its not connected to a charger while this is going on my battery gets drained from all the restarting. I wouldn't want to go through all my apps and gamble out the ones I think are causing the problems. Anyone else having this issue or know what it is based on what I've said? :reddroid:

jdshort2010

Reaction score
Never heard of this. How long has this been happening? The only other troubleshooting option I could think of would be to try a factory reset. Whatever "bug" is causing your phone to loop on updates, that may or may not fix. I would give that a try, then redownload/update and app and see what happens.

Post updates on your progress.

OP
R

redinro

Reaction score
I believe I tried doing the factory reset. I went to "settings" then to "sd & phone storage" and selected "factory data reset." Then it gave me two options. "Reset Phone" and "Reset Phone & Internal Storage." I selected "Reset Phone" and it erased my contacts, apps, and I had to set up the phone as if I had just received it. However, during the restart process I felt the battery pack heating up again and it started looping once again before finishing the setup process. I'm assuming its a hardware issue and I would have to get the phone replaced. Did I do the right process or should I have selected "Reset Phone & Internal Storage"? Thanks for responding.

OP
R

redinro

Reaction score
BTW, it seems that whenever the phone is working hard it starts to loop the startup. I can't listen to music and browse FB or download an update and continue to browse the Android market without it restarting. It also does the same thing when I try to watch a movie on Netflix. It will shut off anywhere from browsing my Queue to 10 minutes into the movie...

cris

Reaction score
im suffering from the same, but for me it happens during a call, ill be talking then ill hear "droid" and the phone is rebooting. very frustrating.

samrov44

Reaction score
same thing happened to me

im just sitting at my desk at work listening to the siriusxm app and it updateditself and then it started to force close some important stuff so i powered down pulled the battery and im stuck in the loop. really need some help and id like to keep my pics if possible. Im nont firmiliar with the safemode stuff... the phone just keeps rebooting

Pianoman178

Reaction score
I have this same problem. I noticed it will restart whenever the battery reaches around 34 degrees Celsius, which isn't very hot for an electronic device. I even bought the extended battery to see if that would solve it. It hasn't.

This has gone from my favorite phone to the worst phone I've ever owned. It's really sad.