Durability?

captdroid

Reaction score
Speaking of durability. Check out my girlfriends Sons D1 he ran over with his car. Not on purpose of course :D Unbelievably it still works, screen digitizer and all. Amazing! I was able to easily move his phone activation over to my girlfriends old D1 and then loaded up a clockworkmod image from his phone. Rebooted and now he's ready to try again. Hopefully not running this one over with the car :blink:

bmkdroid

Reaction score
I personally am on the fence about the Nexus. I think the size and shape feel great in the hand (I know, that's what she said...). I do think it feels a bit light and somewhat cheap / plastic, but I understand the choice of plastic being a durable material for using on a phone.

I traded in an iPhone 4s for the Nexus, so in comparison, I think the iPhone (material-wise) feels very top-notch. However, it is blocky and doesn't really feel that great in the hand. Plus it is glass on both sides so... durability? Although my girlfriend's iPhone 4 has survived quite a few drops just fine - so I think with any phone the biggest durability concern should be the screen.

Either way, quality of materials was a trade off for me that I didn't mind. Nexus fits my hands better, and I missed android! Plus, with the iPhone 4s I had, I constantly was paranoid about dropping it, where with my Nexus I at least only have 1 chunk of glass to worry about. :p DancingNexus

x25064

Reaction score
I personally am on the fence about the Nexus. I think the size and shape feel great in the hand (I know, that's what she said...). I do think it feels a bit light and somewhat cheap / plastic, but I understand the choice of plastic being a durable material for using on a phone.

I traded in an iPhone 4s for the Nexus, so in comparison, I think the iPhone (material-wise) feels very top-notch. However, it is blocky and doesn't really feel that great in the hand. Plus it is glass on both sides so... durability? Although my girlfriend's iPhone 4 has survived quite a few drops just fine - so I think with any phone the biggest durability concern should be the screen.

Either way, quality of materials was a trade off for me that I didn't mind. Nexus fits my hands better, and I missed android! Plus, with the iPhone 4s I had, I constantly was paranoid about dropping it, where with my Nexus I at least only have 1 chunk of glass to worry about. :p DancingNexus

Tpu case = profit

hydro556

Reaction score
I think lots of folks automatically equate plastic with junk.

I think plastic can be junk, but it can also be very high end plastic. After having my Nexus for about a month, I think it is made from the latter. I would rather have very high end plastic and light weight, than all metal and heavy, but not really any more durable.

Apparently the mfg chose high quality plastic for the Nexus, because it "feels" expensive, and has proven durable. That said, I still chose to use a case and currently have a Seidio Surface case and really like it because it is very thin. I dont think it is super protective, but it seems like a good compromise. I think too much of the device to run it with no protection.

ryno2d

Reaction score
After dropping mine sans case I used insurance and got a new one and immediately picked up the otterbox commuter series. Perfect fit...not too big and plenty of protection

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk