Durability?

x25064

Reaction score
there's no galaxy nexus drop test vids on youtube yet, and as the galaxy sII has a different build materials it's not representative of the galaxy nexus.

The video is in response to people complaining about samsungs building materials in general. I'm sure the gnex isn't far off from the S2 since they are made of almost the same materials.

stratjb

Reaction score
The whole build quality debate is strange to me. To me, the Razor felt solid but I couldn't get past the feel that it was awkward in the hand or too thin. The Rezound I loved on paper but I hated the feel. It was thick and felt cheap to me. I've never liked an HTC phone when holding it. The Galaxy Nexus felt perfect to me, sleek but still solid. I guess beauty is really in the eye of the beholder. Time will tell about the durability of all of these phones.

cebosound

Reaction score
When people always piss and moan about Samsungs "cheap plasticky" feel, I always refer them to this video:

[video=youtube;jViSKlAeYYs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jViSKlAeYYs[/video]
WOW! Very cool Vid. ... I have spent the day checking out cases online for my GNex. After seeing this vid i am excited to know my phone can take a beating (relatively speaking)... Especially after my Case-Mate Tough Case gets here. :)

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I find that it feels very durable. The back isn't going to come off - it has more clips than any phone I've used. I haven't dropped it but the screen seems to be made very well.

Reaction score
The whole build quality debate is strange to me. To me, the Razor felt solid but I couldn't get past the feel that it was awkward in the hand or too thin. The Rezound I loved on paper but I hated the feel. It was thick and felt cheap to me. I've never liked an HTC phone when holding it. The Galaxy Nexus felt perfect to me, sleek but still solid. I guess beauty is really in the eye of the beholder. Time will tell about the durability of all of these phones.

Just more phone hypochondia lol

Happens with the release of every new phone :D

OP
maineultraclassic
Reaction score
If I get the Nexus, I would definitely go with the Incipio case right away. I have the Incipio on my X and I love the size, feel, and protection. So I'm sure on the Nexus it would be the same.

I'm now debating getting the Nexus with my early upgrade, or wait a while and see what comes out this summer.

Steve

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I do not question this phones durability.

It was dropped onto marble from about 3ft by my 4yr old nephew (yeah I know bad idea) and not a single blemish or scratch. The only thing I got on it is an sgp screen protector.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would rather the back plate take some of the impact and pop off. My first phone was an LG and I beat the living hell out of it. I had a bad habit of putting it on my lap when I was driving, then hop out of the truck fast and make it fly into the concrete or asphalt. The vacillate would fall off and sometimes the battery would come out. It never failed me.

X

cebosound

Reaction score
If I get the Nexus, I would definitely go with the Incipio case right away. I have the Incipio on my X and I love the size, feel, and protection. So I'm sure on the Nexus it would be the same.

I'm now debating getting the Nexus with my early upgrade, or wait a while and see what comes out this summer.

Steve
I came from the DX also. I really loved that phone. So, if you think you are happy with it for the time being, you have the option to wait for the "next best thing". ... The good thing about the Nexus is that it has a good amount of "Future Proof" ness. ;)

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had a bad habit of putting it on my lap when I was driving, then hop out of the truck fast and make it fly into the concrete or asphalt. The vacillate would fall off and sometimes the battery would come out. It never failed me.

X

I used to have that habit back with the original Razr. When I got the original Droid I vowed to break the habit. So what I did was any time I was going to get out of my car, I would tap my right pocket to make sure my phone was inside the pocket. Now I never get out of a car without my hand automatically touching my right pocket to make sure my phones in it.

What was funny today was I left my phone at home while I ran to grab some food because the network was down earlier today, when I got out of my car I of course automatically touched my empty pocket and freaked out for a second heh.

Vakharn

Reaction score
The reason the back cover is coming off on all the verizon display models is they wedge some kind of security device partially inside the cover which pries up one edge a bit, that plus the fact that the retraction cord on the back is only attached to the battery cover and gets yanked on pretty hard sometimes means that it'll pop off occasionally and maybe break the tabs if some idiot pulls it too hard. Clearly the phone isn't designed to have the battery cover treated that way, which makes sense since the only way it will be is in a verizon store. I agree that the battery cover is a bit flimsy when it's off the phone, but when it's in place it feels pretty solid, and the relatively flimsyness of it is what allows me to put my extended battery under the regular battery cover and then shove the whole thing into my Seidio surface case. If it were more sturdy that just wouldn't work. the rest of the phone feels extremely solidly built to me, and with a decent case on it I have no real worries about damaging it now.

I did manage to put a really tiny scratch on the screen by fumbling the phone and having it hit a glass candle holder screen first. The scratch is probably less than a millimeter long and extremely shallow. The only way to see it is to hold the phone just right under a bright light, and even then it's barely visible. With the screen turned on I can't even find the scratch. All in all that's pretty similar to my original Droid (with gorilla glass) which had several similarly invisible scratches after 2 years.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used to have that habit back with the original Razr. When I got the original Droid I vowed to break the habit. So what I did was any time I was going to get out of my car, I would tap my right pocket to make sure my phone was inside the pocket. Now I never get out of a car without my hand automatically touching my right pocket to make sure my phones in it.

What was funny today was I left my phone at home while I ran to grab some food because the network was down earlier today, when I got out of my car I of course automatically touched my empty pocket and freaked out for a second heh.

I installed a dash pocket from a crew cab truck in my single cab and that's where I keep my X now. I only have dropped my phone like that once and that was before the pocket. I only have one little indention in the corner. My screen is still good.

X

OP
maineultraclassic
Reaction score
Yeah, the display phone in the store has a lot of junk attached to it and hard to get a good feel of.
Either the Incipio or the Defender from Otterbox would protect the phone just fine.

Steve

cebosound

Reaction score
Slap a Case-Mate Tough Case on your Nexus like I did, and the "Lack of Durability" thought escapes the mind... ;)