Durability?

Reaction score
I was looking at the Nexus at my local Verizon store yesterday, and it just seems cheap, fragile, and flimsy to me. It just doesn't have a well built feel to it, and I'm a little nervous about getting it if I have to treat it like an egg.

I would be getting the Incipio case for it for protection, but I'm not going to get the Otterbox or Trident case for it since they are just too damn big.

Does anyone have any experience with the durability of this phone?

Is the screen Gorilla glass?

Thanks,

Steve

Reaction score
no gorrilla glass. it does look cheap, kind of a samsung signature to put some nice hardware in a phone then make it look cheap as crap lol

i haven't heard of any durability issues though. i have a screen protector and case on mine, but i do that for all my phones.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
The Verizon stores tether all their phones by attaching the cord to the phone back. I have never seen one of the backs pop off before, but it continually does on the Nexus. Even my wife thought that it looks cheap. Now this would not be a problem if you have a case on it and likely not a problem without a case, but it does give the phone a cheap feeling.

OP
maineultraclassic
Reaction score
It's funny you say that about the back popping off. The one I was looking at had scotch tape holding the back cover on the phone.

Just doesn't make sense to me to charge so much for a phone that is made like crap, great hardware doesn't mean $hit if the screen is broken or the case won't say together.

Steve

LaGgY_42o

Reaction score
I carry mine in my front pocket sometimes and yesterday I was in a parking lot, bent forward to pick something off my shoe and it slid out hitting the asphalt. The battery and back came off and the phone was screen down, all the damage was is 2 very small scuffs on 2 of the corners, took my finger and rubbed them for a lil and u can barely see them now lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Ronbo19

Reaction score
Mine has fell twice from waist level. Once onto hard tile and once onto the driveway. Wound up with a small scuff on the bottom left corner from the driveway and no marks from the tile. Been in a case since. On the other hand my father dropped his OG droid recently on the driveway and the screen spiderwebbed. Any phone will be damaged when dropped if it hits the ground the wrong way.

seminole1994

Reaction score
Trust me once you put the Incpilio case on that bad boy it feels solid!

wil318466

Reaction score
It's funny you say that about the back popping off. The one I was looking at had scotch tape holding the back cover on the phone.

Just doesn't make sense to me to charge so much for a phone that is made like crap, great hardware doesn't mean $hit if the screen is broken or the case won't say together.

Steve

The Nexus isn't made like crap at all. And since when is the case falling apart or how does the screen break? You can break any phone by dropping or sitting on it. My friend has the latest iphone and the screen is cracked all the way across and I laughed and asked him what he did to it he said he sat on it while it was in his back pocket.

Some people don't like the feel of the back of the Nexus. It doesn't bother me one bit. It's not like the back cover "falls off" at all, in fact, I have to pry it off - it clips on very sturdy. I like the feel of the Nexus a lot.

x25064

Reaction score
When people always piss and moan about Samsungs "cheap plasticky" feel, I always refer them to this video:

[video=youtube;jViSKlAeYYs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jViSKlAeYYs[/video]

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've never understood the "cheap feeling" with the Nexus, definitely with previous Samsung devices but this phone feels solid to me. I actually like the feeling of the backplate, it's hard to explain why but it's definitely not cheap feeling.

I luckily haven't dropped mine yet, so can't tell you how well it will hold up but it feels very solid to me(not using a case/screen protector).

I'd try one out that's not hooked to one of those security things, they pop the back off because it's pulling from the center of the back and the tabs can't deal with the centralized stress.

Reaction score
When people always piss and moan about Samsungs "cheap plasticky" feel, I always refer them to this video:

[video=youtube;jViSKlAeYYs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jViSKlAeYYs[/video]

there's no galaxy nexus drop test vids on youtube yet, and as the galaxy sII has a different build materials it's not representative of the galaxy nexus.

here's a scratch test of the GN:

[video=youtube;uyLC61JxsJQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyLC61JxsJQ[/video]

Reaction score
no gorrilla glass. it does look cheap, kind of a samsung signature to put some nice hardware in a phone then make it look cheap as crap lol

i haven't heard of any durability issues though. i have a screen protector and case on mine, but i do that for all my phones.

It may not be Gorilla Glass. But it is very good. I saw a video where someone took a key to it and you could hear it scrape against it. I even went to a local VZW store and tested it out discretely. And it did not mark the screen. I don't have any issues, personally, about the build quality. I have had Samsungs in the past. And I do like Moto's build quality. But the Nexus, believe it or not, does not feel cheep in the hand. And I like how this phone is not locked down in any way. That is the main reason I chose the Nexus.

Last edited:

terigox

Reaction score
IMO the back plate was never designed to have something glued to it and constantly pulling it off. Verizon security devices just happen to not fair well with this phone. I actually like the way the back plat nestles into the back, makes the seams on this phone almost disappear. So you don't feel those nooks and crevasses created by other back plates in your hand.

Once off of the security tether and in your hand though, for which it was designed as others mention it feels great. I can't speak to the actual durability (as I haven't dropped mine), but the texture on the backing and shape of this phone feel excellent when being held. To me it's just the right thickness (even with the extended battery) a really great width and overall has a really nice feel to it.

I can only hope it handles drops like the S 2 did in that video but as mentioned before any phone is likely to break when dropped and hit in the right place.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will say this, yesterday at my grandparents I was sitting on the edge of the couch messing with my phone. I like, neveerrrrr, drop my phone. But I was sliding the case back on and the phone slipped out of my hand and landed straight on the front glass/screen onto the hard wood floor. I would guess like.. 3-4ft drop? The screen was PERFECT still. However, the backing to the battery fell off also. Guess you can keep that in mind.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It doesn't feel cheap and it certainly is durable. Go YouTube some videos of drop comparisons and you'll see.
As for personal experience my nephew dropped it from about 3ft onto marble, not a scratch or blemish. Yes its plastic but higher quality plastic than found in some cars IMO

Last edited: